Search Unity

Looking for advice for data entry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marceta, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Marceta

Marceta

I need someone to create questions for my quiz. What you think how many questions are okay for 100$.

100$ = 100 questions?
    100$ = 200 questions?
    1000 = 300 questions?

I need some quantity per 100$.

I don't have idea how much data entry guys are payed.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Create questions != data entry.

Data entry is where you have all of the stuff written out on paper, and someone types it into the PC for you. In most cases the best practice today is to simply create the data in a format that is machine readable. An excel spreadsheet for example.

Anyway data entry folk normally get a few dollars above minimum wage. It's not exactly a demanding skill set.

If you are looking for someone to create the questions I'd expect to pay a fair bit more. You might get a hungry student to do it at those rates. But a free lance designer will likely cost you a fair bit more.

3. wccrawford

wccrawford

If you pay poorly, you'll get crap output. There's no way to regulate "good" questions, so you'll end up with things like:

"What color is the sky?"

Or possibly worse:

"Why is the sky blue?"

Making good trivia questions is not a trivial task.

Marceta, Kiwasi and Ostwind like this.
  4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Also you did not mention how the questions will be answered, for example traditional quiz game has 4 answer choices per question with one correct answer. Depending of the difficulty of the questions these other choices need to be realistic (may require research on top the original question) to not reveal correct one too easily. Then do you need categories, hints, etc.

Good quality questions require a lot of time while silly and easy basic knowledge ones can be pumped out faster but can be boring to players.

5. Arowx

Arowx

I'm amazed you can't find quiz databases that you can download and use?

Free Trivia Database (May only work via web API) -> https://opentdb.com/

Or you could ask the players of your game to add questions, that you can vet and submit to a database.

Marceta likes this.
  6. Marceta

Marceta

First three versions of game do not use english language, english version will be probably after them. Also I'm focused on developing new features and maintaining current so i don't want to lose time on finding and creating questions.

Those prices i wrote are just random numbers.

This is multiplayer game and it's going to be released for many countries as separate versions. Those questions i need are related to specific country, their history, sport, art etc. Other "general" questions will be shared and translated between versions for example "What color is sky"... :D Just kidding there is no stupid questions.

Yes game already include "moderator" tool where players can submit their questions and get rewards if those are approved by other players or admins. But i need some starting amount of questions so players can already play game.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. Arowx

Arowx

Note
    is not a stupid question as the sky varies vastly in color depending on time of day and cloud cover.

Or the classic "Why is the sky blue?", you need to be very good at physics to answer it correctly.