Search Unity

Looking for a water shader that can...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tethys, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Tethys

Tethys

Greetings folks!

We have been on a quest to find a good water shader that works for our project. We currently are still using Unity Water4 shader for water bodies because it's one of the only ones we have found that work in our particular scenario. Our game uses a procedurally generated smooth voxel terrain (Dyox's Terrain Engine), as well as water. Because of this there are some restrictions on what we can use. We currently use the Water4 material for our voxel water material, then also place the Water4Advanced prefab in the scene. But here is the catch - the water tiles are turned off. This way we can use some of the water settings in the scene, but don't have a non-voxel body of water rendering for players to run into.

We decided to try posting what we are looking for, rather than continuing to buy water shaders that don't work for our scenario, which = wasted money. If there is a dev with a product that can support the following list of items, or you are dev who knows of a pack that might work, please respond or private message me. We have looked at pretty much everything on the Asset store so we know whats how out, just not how well each item would work in our case (which is why were looking for people with experience with a specific shader, not just suggestions). Thanks!

Water Requirements:

- Support multiple bodies of water, not just one big body(think fantasy forest/mountain environment with lots of ponds, lakes, rivers and water falls). If reflections are tied to one example body of water, then reflections on a body of water many units away of course are broken (this is maybe one of the top issues we run into with Unity Day Water and other water solutions that tie a reflection camera to a static position over example body of water).
    - Support bodies of water on different heights (water can flow, and in some cases in our world will have a body of water at the main land level, that runs into a cave, which forms a waterfall and then another body of water below). Players can also create water anywhere in the environment via the terraforming tools.
    - Some kind of reflections support that works in the cases listed above (SSR?).
    - Be able to specify the main light on water settings for sun spec on water, similar to Unity Water4Advanced (using day/night cycle so this position is always changing).
    - Can have the water prefab in the scene but renderer or water tiles disabled.
    - Support for multiple lights.

Our game works with voxel volumes, so water is a volume, without collider, which means many of the underwater effects and such will be useless to us initially, especially if it's based on creating a static volume or static depth settings for caustics, etc... We currently have a little underwater blur effect that we can turn on and off based on water volume detection, therefore water effects that are scripted and can be turned on and off WILL work for us, rather than height and collision based effects.

So, what have we tried so far that didn't work?

- Realistic Water
    - DCG Water Shaders
    - Aquas Water
    - Tasharen Water
    - Unity Advanced Water Day and Advanced Water Night

Thanks for taking the time to read and if you have any suggestions.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. Razmot

Razmot

Tethys likes this.
  3. Whippets

Whippets

4. Tethys

Tethys

Are you using Ceto in your project that uses Terrain Engine? I have looked at this asset a few times since it's launch but with the price tag I have been reluctant to buy before trying heh. Looks amazing. Thanks for the blog link - I haven't been there before but I realize now how great of a resource it is - some great reading there!

5. Razmot

Razmot

No I don't use it - I was just looking at his blog.

6. Tethys

Tethys

I clarified in the post not looking for just suggestions so much as looking for people with experience with particular packages.