Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Looking for a very simple server hosted database

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by RemDust, Jan 22, 2023.

1. RemDust

RemDust

Hello gang !

I'm totally new to mySQL and stuff, and for the first time, I would need to store/fetch character statistics in a very simple (but secured) database, looking like this :
    ID <-> ID.json

I would consider a buy if there is a very user friendly asset in the assetstore that you want to recommend, or I could get my hands dirty if you want to help me going down this road !

Thanks a lot !

2. tleylan

tleylan

Setting up a simple database is easy but if you have never used SQL before you should watch at least a few videos to learn the syntax. I use SQLite as it is free, lightweight, flexible and suits my needs. I could use SQL Server which I have available but it is overkill for my needs.

You will need a server of some sort with public access that you can host the SQLite database in. If you write a simple API you can use access the database from a webpage or PC app and also from your Unity game.

RemDust likes this.
  3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

What is a „secured database“ supposed to be? What exactly needs to be secure? And why?

RemDust likes this.
  4. RemDust

RemDust

Thanks for passing by !

So, in my game, a "player" has statistics (classic level, health, strength etc ).
    But a "player" won't be permanently linked to a USER -> characters/players can be traded, gifted etc.

So I need to have them referenced by an ID, and not by the Owner.

That's the reason why I need to have them all in a table with their IDs <-> Stats.
    -> Those are the data that I need to secure (nobody wants a game where someone can cheat and set values/data to a "player" stats, right ?

Hope it's clearer now :)