Search Unity

Looking for a project to write music to....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeremy_mccloud, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremy_mccloud

jeremy_mccloud

Hello Unity Community...

I like Unity and have been experimenting a little in how dynamic music could be implemented into games. It's actually kind of fascinating to me, to be able to change music on the fly when there's an enemy or treasure near by. Or perhaps something that changes the song a little, depending on options chosen in a dialog tree.

Making music is a passion of mine and I'd love the opportunity to create dynamic music for a game. I'm not looking to make any money, just want to experiment.

If anyone is interested or know of a better place I can go, to find something like this... perhaps some sort of online game community site, where you can join projects and collaborate.... please let me know.

My genre varies a little bit, but if I had to say, it would be some or a combination of Ambient, Electronic, Down-tempo, Trip-Hop and maybe a bit of Classical.... all instrumental.

Here is one song I've been experimenting with and is still a work in progress:
    https://soundcloud.com/jeremymccloud/22032020-sample

I've tried to write it in such a way that it can be played back dynamically in the game. The developer would have several tracks to work with that can all be synced with each other. They can then be qued in or out depending on what the player does in the game. So far I've found two ways to do this in code that work very differently.

You can listen to more of my music through my profile there if you like but if anyone wants to experiment with the song I linked to, I can render out individual tracks for you to play with. I'd just like to be included in seeing the results and have my name listed as a credit.

If a had a choice, I'd like to write something for an emotional piece. Something like a story driven game or text adventure. Or anything with beautiful and unique artwork. But I wouldn't say they are a deal breaker for me.

Sound design is something I'm also interested in, but I'd like to start with music first.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

oh wow, that is very accomplished and i enjoyed listening to it. Which DAW are you using?

I tend to get a lot of cheap tracks of audio jungle and the license is not so bad. I wish you well friend.

3. jsmccloud

jsmccloud

Thank you! I use Propellerhead Reason. I’ve been using it for over ten years now and have always loved it!

4. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Well i am just beginning but i feel i need to get a electronic keyboard to be more productive. It is amazing to listen to a pro sound engineer!

5. jsmccloud

jsmccloud

By the way, I found SoundStripe.com a great place to go for quality music. It’s not free but affordable. Something like $15 a month. I’ve used it a lot for my freelance projects.

6. jsmccloud

jsmccloud

This is what I got.
    M Audio Keystation 49 MK3 | Compact Semi Weighted 49 Key MIDI Keyboard Controller with Assignable Controls, Pitch / Modulation Wheels and Software Production Suite included USB Powered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDN6TP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_x5rEEbHJ9H0VD

Its a controller, so you’d have to have a computer to use it but can use the included software. At the time I got it, it included Reason 11 Lite which is what I use today but I don’t see it in the description now. It does include other Daws though to get you started.

It’s not the best but I like it, it’s very affordable, and it does the job. They are full sized, semi-weighted keys(by springs) and velocity sensitive.

It’s 49 keys, which is enough for me. I definitely wouldn’t go with anything less but I’d say the 61 keys is preferable if you have the room.

Take a look, it’s definitely a good starter in my opinion.

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.