Search Unity

Looking for a DOTS / ENTITY Starter Tut that will actually properly work with Unity 2019.3.0f1

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by EddieChristian, Dec 10, 2019.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am looking for a DOTS / ENTITY Starter Tut that will actually properly work with Unity 2019.3.0f1. Every one I have tried is already outdated with commands that do not work. I even out of frustration paid for one on Udemy and it's code failed as well. Is there anything out there a person new to this can start with that has properly updated code???

2. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I just upgraded my Survival Shooter project to 2019.3.0f1 and the latest version of the Entities package (0.3.0 at the time of this writing). There are still some changes that I plan to do (e.g., moving all systems to the new Entities.ForEach syntax, making a few things more pure here and there), but it may be helpful as a working reference while learning.

siggigg and EddieChristian like this.
  3. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

4. colin_young

colin_young

Unfortunately I think it's going to be hard to find tutorials that are up-to-date because this is still preview code (I don't know that I'd call it beta yet) and changing frequently. I sympathize with the frustration, but the samples really are the best place to look as @DreamingImLatios suggested. I'd also recommend providing feedback in the API Usability thread with areas you find frustrating.

The official documentation is evolving also, and I've seen huge improvements there from 0.1.0 to 0.3.0.

This is just the nature of using preview code libraries in a beta editing environment.