Search Unity

Looking for 3D software that plays nice with Sculptris

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by HankBars, Mar 9, 2021.

1. HankBars

HankBars

Hello. I want to animate my Sculptris models, and Blender has major problems with Sculptris texture maps. Just wondering if anyone knows of any 3D animation software that doesn't have that problem. Preferably free or cheap.

Thanks!

2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'm not sure if you are going to get better than that honestly. As far as free and cheap, Blender is some of the best there is. Your problem may involve a lack of UVs. If that's the case, you are going to have that problem with any other program as well. I don't know what all Sculptris can do, but the trick may involve baking your painted textures to either a UV map, or to vertex colors. Blender can directly use either of those things.

I'm not 100% on this one, but you may be able to use ZBrush to open up Sculptris files. If so, you can use ZBrush to do the things that Sculptris can't do.

Final consideration....have you verified the poly count of what you have sculpted? Unless you have have done something that is low-poly(for sculpting workflows I mean), it won't likely be feasible to mess with animating it until you fix that issue, much less try to use it in a real-time game engine.

HankBars likes this.
  3. HankBars

HankBars

Hey kburkhart84, I really appreciate your feedback. After spending the day trying different things, I think I can get what I want by just importing the Sculptris model into Blender, and then do the texture painting there. I was kind of hoping to avoid Blender as much as possible, as every youtube Blender tutorial I try to follow turns into a nightmare, because the tutor's interface always looks different from mine, and I end up spending forever looking through menus, and even then sometimes can never find the option or button they are referring to. Literally the most aggravating software experience I've ever had (and that's saying something). But I guess I'll have to slog through it like everyone else who doesn't have $1,000+ to shell out.

As for the poly count, I've learned to use Blender's Clean Up feature, which works well, and I was able to reduce the poly count on my current model down to 5% of the original Sculptris obj file without losing much detail, so that's progress. I assume that's what you're talking about. Anyway, thanks for explaining all that.

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I know learning more complicated software can be a pain. But I promise Blender is worth it, and then some. You might even find the sculpting tools equal or better than what you are currently using. At the least, it not only has much of the sculpting stuff you find in sculptris, rather Blender can do much, much more. It is about as close to an all-in-one tool I think you will find.

That is indeed what I was talking about. I don't know how many polys you were working with, before or after the reduction to 5%. And the actual amount of polys that can be handled will depend on too many factors to really know for sure. At the least if you figure out the workflow in Blender you will have more direct control over poly counts...and if using your method to reduce the poly count is either not enough or isn't working right for you, you can go a more traditional route and do a retopo workflow in the same Blender software, which can then be part of the baking process to get your sculpt information onto a normal map for that retopo model.