Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking Around in Game View for VR Project

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by pjmcprettypants, Jun 15, 2019.

1. pjmcprettypants

pjmcprettypants

I'm trying to make a room scale VR experience. I'm starting with the template called "VR lightweight RP", which includes an "XR Rig".

I'm assuming that if I had a compatible device this template has everything I'd need to Build and Run and start looking around the scene. But I don't yet have access to a VR device, and I won't for most of the time I'll be working on this project.

How do I look/move around in the Game View?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

How good is your cellphone? Your best bet is an extremely cheap alternative to a normal headset.

https://vr.google.com/cardboard/

Other than that you could hook up normal camera controls but virtual reality is very difficult to develop for when you can't experience it during development. You may very well have to go back and reworking everything if you try otherwise.

3. pjmcprettypants

pjmcprettypants

My first attempt at this project (and using Unity) was a couple of years ago, and I used Cardboard and Android SDK then, but I wasn't getting anything like the same appearance on my phone as in the Game View for the shaders I wanted to use, so I gave up on that route. Plus I realised I would need a VR set with 6 degrees of freedom to get the experience I was trying to create.

It would have been nice if there was option to just simulate VR input with keyboard/mouse.

For now, I've imported an FPS Controller from standard assets, and unchecked the camera in the XR Rig so the Game View shows the FPS Controller's camera. I also had to select the ground and add a Box Collider so the player doesn't just fall through the floor.