Search Unity

Long delay when entering playmode after upgrade to 0.4.6

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by faveris_dt, Oct 24, 2018.

1. faveris_dt

faveris_dt

Hi,

We have run into serious issue after upgrade to 0.4.6. Every time when I press "Play" button Unity freezes for about 15-20 minutes. This happens both in Fast and Virtual play modes. Before upgrade I experienced the same 15-20 minutes freeze but only for the first time when starting with Virtual Play Mode on (we were using Addressables 0.3.5).

I've reproduced this issue using Unity 2018.2.3f1 and 2018.2.13f1 on two machines (PC and Mac). Please let me know if you need any additional information.

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Thanks for reporting this. There are two things going on here. For one, we had to remove the addressables caching temporarily in 0.4.6. We intend to bring it back, but for now, this is the cause of you're previously one-time hit, now being an every-time hit.

The bigger issue though, is that you'd have this hit at all. Even without caching, you should not be seeing this slow of a transition into play mode. Can you get us a little more information? How many addressables do you have? How many assets in your project and how large is the final build? Anything else that might be relevant would help as well.

Thanks,
    Bill

3. faveris_dt

faveris_dt

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your answer. Firstly, two more questions about the current situation:
    1. Do you plan to bring caching back in upcoming preview release?
    2. Does the Fast Play Mode really need caching to start smoothly? In version 0.3.5 there was no freeze at all when starting in Fast Play Mode.
    As for delay itself, I've found out it is related to amount of scenes we have in our project. We are developing casual game with tons of levels (about 500 for now) and we store level data in separate scene for each level. So I may have no addressables added at all, but all those scenes are automatically put into "Built In Data" section and because of that I experience huge lag when entering play mode. Removing most of the scenes from Build Settings helps to reduce lag to 5-10 seconds.
    Based on the build report asset list we have 4771 assets. Here are asset sizes:
    Textures      1108.3 mb    74.5%
    Meshes 2.5 mb 0.2%
    Animations 2.8 mb 0.2%
    Sounds 7.4 mb 0.5%
    Shaders 265.4 kb 0.0%
    Other Assets 44.4 mb 3.0%
    Levels 257.4 mb 17.3%
    Scripts 5.8 mb 0.4%
    Included DLLs 14.9 mb 1.0%
    File headers 2.3 mb 0.2%
    Complete size 1488.2 mb 100.0%

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  4. PaulBurslem

PaulBurslem

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the info - short term we will be adding the ability to simply ignore all resources assets and scenes in the build list. Slightly longer will be making fast mode require 0 processing up front and have a direct connection to the AA settings object. Also, caching will be reintroduced where needed.