Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Long delay when creating an item in Inspector

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bigbrainz, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Whenever I create an item in the inspector it takes about 9 seconds. And for this particular project, I need to create dozens and dozens of assets in there all the time. It's driving me crazy and I'll be on this project FOREVER so it's very worth it for me to track this down. Buying a new computer is a valid solution!

I'm on a i7-4771 with 16GB RAM and a GTX 1060. That's with a fresh reboot and only Unity running. CPU is at 5%. Memory usage is at 42%. HD is an SSD. Maybe it's a really slow SSD?

Our other computer in the office does it in 4 seconds and it's a decade old. Other couple guys I checked with can do it in .5 or 1 second. What gives? What's the bottleneck?

Any advice at all?!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You mean "Add New Component" ?

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What does "create an item" mean?

4. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

I've boiled it down to the simplest test. Duplicate a folder. In the Project view. If I do them one after another, one takes 8 seconds. The next takes 4. Then 8. Then 4.

Curiously, if I disconnect my ethernet, the delay disappears.

Other things I tried: Testing RAM, Different hard drives, disabling Collaborate and Cloud Build, Running in Safe Mode with Networking. Disabled anti-virus.

I can create or duplicate a folder instantly in Windows Explorer.

We're running 2017.4.8f1

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Found the problem! My "Cache Server" was turned on and pointed to an old server that we don't have anymore. Disabling that fixed it.