Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Long delay (up to 19 minutes) before unity splash screen appears

Discussion in 'Linux' started by catfink, May 17, 2019.

1. catfink

catfink

I am building my project on Linux with .net4 and burst compiler, opengl (vulkan disabled) to create a linux client (x86_64).

The same project built on windows fails to build the burst compiler (as expected) but starts up immediately and shows the unity splash screen. All fine - but I need to use the burst compiler so I am building on linux editor (2018.3.14).

When built on linux some of my testers are reporting up to 19 minutes before the splash screen appears - during this time the CPU is running at 100%.
    On my test machine it takes around 1 minute before the splash screen appears, again lots of cpu being consumed.

What on earth is the unity player doing in the time between being launched and showing the splash screen that requires 100% CPU and on slower machines for up to as long as 19 minutes?

2. catfink

catfink

I found the cause of this - it was processing shader variants I had added to the preloaded shader list. For some reason on linux it takes forever processing these and doesn't do so on windows / OSX - so I removed them.

3. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

This sounds like a bug, any chance you could submit a bug report with the project?
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

4. catfink

catfink

The project is some 160GB - so probably not. But I suspect this could be recreated with just a dummy project and a shader variant file as none of the problem was reliant on our project.

5. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

Any chance you want to take a quick stab at making a dummy project?