Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Logical next step?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drunknbass, Mar 4, 2009.

1. drunknbass

drunknbass

So unity can make an iPhone format, they can also make a web player and web format, so am I wrong to think a unity iPhone "player" framework could be made and distributed to devs? It could be a seperate build target for unity iPhone, but be a similar format so you could make a gameplayer app to connect to your own private server and dl and play your iphonewebgame. I think it could be an interesting idea and open alot of new doors for sales of games!

We could do something like a rss reader app for our game co and embed this new framework/player and have the functionality to offer game demos etc.etc.etc.

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Apple is likely to deny such an application, or pull it after release, as it prevents them from reviewing and approving the content you might play. I'm obviously not an Apple employee but that's what my gut says...

I also don't know about the functional feasibility as all content on the iPhone must be ahead of time compiled, and the only people that can create such content are those that own Unity iPhone already, and thus there isn't a clear need for them to use your application as opposed to publishing their own content directly (and thus they get revenue for their work, not you via your host app sales).