Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted LOD groups for objects inside a fbx (Blender to Unity)

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by FernAKQJT, Mar 7, 2021.

1. FernAKQJT

FernAKQJT

Hi everyone,

I have created a model with Blender that is composed by different static objects. Some of these objects need to have LOD because of high number of polygons. To simplify my case, I have created a simple model to show you. It is an fbx (created with Blender, as I said) that has the following tree when a prefab is created importing it:
    ModelExample
    Cylinder
    Cylinder_LOD0
    Cylinder_LOD1​
    Sphere
    Sphere_LOD0
    Sphere_LOD1​

The problem is that Unity, automatically creates a LOD Group for "ModelExample" and it is working for the whole model at same time. If camera is close to ModelExample then Cylinder_LOD0 and Sphere_LOD0 are showed, and when the camera is far to ModelExample, Cylinder_LOD1 and Sphere_LOD1 are showed, both at same time.

I can solve the problem manually removing LOD Group from ModelExample and I creating one LOD Group for Cylinder and another for Sphere, adding manually also meshes LOD0 and LOD1 for each level.

For this simple model is not a problem to do it manullay, but it is annoying in a model with a lot of objects that need to have LOD.

Is there any way to do it automatically? Maybe I'm missing some nomenclature, project option or an option when I exported the model from Blender, but I was searching for a solution and I don't find anything.

Thanks in advance

unityunity