Search Unity

Question LOD groups for objects inside a fbx (Blender to Unity)

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Fern1984, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Fern1984

Fern1984

Hi everyone,

I have created a model with Blender that is composed by different static objects. Some of these objects need to have LOD because of high number of polygons. To simplify my case, I have created a simple model to show you. It is an fbx (created with Blender, as I said) that has the following tree when a prefab is created importing it:
    ModelExample
    Cylinder
    Cylinder_LOD0
    Cylinder_LOD1​
    Sphere
    Sphere_LOD0
    Sphere_LOD1​

The problem is that Unity, automatically creates a LOD Group for "ModelExample" and it is working for the whole model at same time. If camera is close to ModelExample then Cylinder_LOD0 and Sphere_LOD0 are showed, and when the camera is far to ModelExample, Cylinder_LOD1 and Sphere_LOD1 are showed, both at same time.

I can solve the problem manually removing LOD Group from ModelExample and I creating one LOD Group for Cylinder and another for Sphere, adding manually also meshes LOD0 and LOD1 for each level.

For this simple model is not a problem to do it manullay, but it is annoying in a model with a lot of objects that need to have LOD.

Is there any way to do it automatically? Maybe I'm missing some nomenclature, project option or an option when I exported the model from Blender, but I was searching for a solution and I don't find anything.

Thanks in advance

Ishnubarak likes this.
  2. ethanicus

ethanicus

I'm having the same issue, did you ever find a solution?

3. grobonom

grobonom

I'm in this problem as well....

I guess we have 2 options:
    1) mighty do all by hand once
    2) try to automate the U3D S***ty LOD import handling with an asset pre or postprocessor.....

For my own part, il will head the 1) because i'll handle everything, even if it's the heavy way.....

4. ethanicus

ethanicus

I basically gave up on the entire concept. For my building I just exported some door prefabs for instance and manually place them all over in the editor. It's very annoying having to basically do the work twice, but otherwise anything I try and create gets ruined on import.

5. grobonom

grobonom

finally, i made an mesh importer post processor that works like a charm :D

My only needs are that LOD1+ objects are parented to LOD0....

fuzzy3d likes this.
  6. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

That's great, so far I've exported to (many) individual .fbx files in Blender. So I step through all the objects in the Blender scene, make low-poly copies of them, name them and export them right away. But when there are too many objects... Your solution is elegant!

7. Ruuds

Ruuds

can you share how you did this?