Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Locomotion package and Humanoid (Avatar) animation clips

Discussion in 'Animation' started by akent99, Aug 23, 2020.

1. akent99

akent99

I am trying to create an animated video using Unity from characters created in VRoid Studio. I can get animation clips from say mixamo.com, but the bone structure is different to what VRoid Studio creates. So I use Unity to convert to "Humanoid" and then they can then play successfully on the VRoid Studio characters.

However, the "Locomotion" package (from Runevision, http://runevision.com/multimedia/unity/locomotion/) for Unity looks useful as it does clever things with feet etc to walk over uneven surfaces, the character to face a different direction that walking and still work, etc. I thought that could be useful for more realism (eg climbing stairs etc), but it appears to want to find the Transform of joints to directly adjust them. When I use the "Humanoid" adjustment to the animation clip, it adjusts it to use Animator.Left Foot etc (the "muscles" rather than "bones" approach), which I assume is why the clip works on any Avatar based humanoid character. So the Locomotion package cannot understand the animation clips.

Before I give up on the Locomotion package:
    • Has anyone got the Locomotion package working with Avatar Humanoid muscles instead of bone transformations?
    • Is there another modern package - one that does more realistic foot placements for uneven surfaces?
    I am using a Cinemachine Track and Dolly and having the character follow the cart so I can have multiple characters with different walk styles and speeds automatically stay perfectly side by side when walking. Otherwise I will go back to the default of playing animation clips and manually tweaking the speed to keep them in sync.