Search Unity

Question Locking Terrain?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by doncreger, May 18, 2022.

1. doncreger

doncreger

Does anyone know of a way to lock unity terrain from edits?

In the attached image, I want to make edits to terrain #1 but NOT terrain #2. I do not want stokes or stamps to affect terrain #2.

Thx in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. doncreger

doncreger

Seems like I stumped the Unity community on this one... Any takers?

3. r31o

r31o

Terrains have a group id that allows to edit multiple terrains at once. If you change the id of one, the terrains will be disconnected, so you will have to edit them separately.

4. doncreger

doncreger

Thanks for the reply r310!
    As you can see with the images below the group IDs are different on Terrain_1 and Terrain_2 and yet they are still affected as if they were connected. Is there somewhere else I should be looking to change the group ID?

upload_2022-5-23_8-37-55.png
    upload_2022-5-23_8-38-29.png

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Does using overlays help???

6. r31o

r31o

You havent do anything, the terrain heights are the same as in the first post.
    If you now try to edit them, you cant edit both at once, but the changes you made previously still there.

7. Pollo_Loc0

Pollo_Loc0

Was this ever resolved? I have 2 adjacent terrains similar to the screenshots above. I would like to lock one of the terrains from edits. If I attempt to edit an adjacent terrain, the locked terrain next to it will still be editable. Even though it's locked, it doesn't prevent the terrain from edits. The user can lock a terrain, select another terrain for edits, move the cursor over the locked terrain and still be able to edit that terrain.

TomXD69 likes this.
  8. TomXD69

TomXD69

I have tried many tricks (put it in prefabs or an other scene), but finally it turns out only one but simple solution works:
    Turn off the Terrain Collider component!