Search Unity

"Locking" a variable in a parallel job

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Mr-Mechanical, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

I have this situation where multiple threads may attempt to access/modify a variable at the same time. Is there a way to "lock" a variable so it can only be accessed by one thread? Or is this sort of functionality exclusive to Native containers?

Thank you advice is greatly appreciated

2. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

I'm reading up on creating custom NativeContainers and it seems that this sort of stuff is intended to be encapsulated inside a container.

3. GilCat

GilCat

I think you have to create your own native container with a concurrent version of it.
    You can find the documentation for it here

Mr-Mechanical likes this.
  4. Abbrew

Abbrew

If your variable is a simple int or long, the Interlocked class may be of interest to you

5. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

I'm very interested in this, is there any documentation for the Interlocked methods?

6. tertle

tertle

7. Mr-Mechanical

Mr-Mechanical

Is it okay to use this Interlocked class outside of a Native Container implementation and do this directly in a parallel job's execute function?

For example on an element of a nativearray?

Thanks. This may be extremely helpful to me.

8. Abbrew

Abbrew

Yes, for example you can have a IJobParallelFor that sorts a NativeArray into two NativeArrays based on a predicate. You can have two int* pointers, truePointer and falsePointer. Do Interlocked.Increment() on truePointer and store the element of the original array into one array if the predicate is true, and vice versa. This strategy isn't recommended because all the concurrent accesses of truePointer and falsePointer means a lot of resource contention, but you get the idea.