Search Unity

Question Location Services Hololens2?

Discussion in 'AR' started by mcbauer, Dec 9, 2020.

1. mcbauer

mcbauer

I'm trying to figure out how to access the users location in my Hololens 2 app. Input.location shows as only working with Android. How would I go about getting those gps coords from the H2 headset?

2. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

Are you sure the H2 has GPS?
    The H1 definitely doesn't. The H2 doesn't show it in it's tech specs, and I can't seem to find any information about it having GPS.

3. mcbauer

mcbauer

Yeah I didnt see it either, but there is an app you can install that shows my location. Maybe its just bouncing off the wifi router. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious as I have never developed for UWP before

4. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

You could try testing that app to see how accurate it is. Does it show you moving throughout the house/office?
    Does it work without Wifi? etc. Without knowing what app you're referring to my guess would be it's either just using the static location for your IP or doing some bouncing with the router.
    As far as I can tell the H2 only has IMU (6DOF with Accelerometer, Gyro & Magnetometer), not GPS.

mcbauer likes this.
  5. mcbauer

mcbauer

That app is about a block off, which made me think it was bouncing the wifi instead of its unit. Guess I'm going to have to figure out a workaround

6. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

If it's a block off, it's not using bouncing. It's just grabbing the location relative to your IP-adress..
    https://iplocation.com/ will probably give you the same location

7. mcbauer

mcbauer

No, the location that comes from that site is way off.

8. mcbauer

mcbauer

FrankvHoof likes this.
  9. guubebra

guubebra

10. andreas1990

andreas1990

Another service that allows you to get location data behind any IP address is ipbase.com.