Search Unity

Locate is completely useless.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by georgeq, Jul 20, 2020.

1. georgeq

georgeq

The problems is that because the Hub is not reliable for downloading and installing new versions, many times we're forced to manually download and install those versions. We're given the option to Locate versions installed outside the Hub, and indeed you can effectively launch such versions from inside the hub. However that functionality is worthless from my point of view, mainly because you cannot add new modules, nor uninstall them. Which means when you Locate a version from the Hub, only half of the work is done, which is disappointing. To make this thing really useful, the Hub should be able to manage all your installed versions, regardless of the method used to install them. So the question here is: what's the use of having a "Locate" feature when you're sill need to manage your versions manually? I understand this might be easier said than done, but, com'on guys, you're the Unity development team, you solve really though problems, and this should be piece of cake for you... also making a reliable download/install process shouldn't be an unsolvable problem for you too.

2. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

I can tell you're getting really frustrated with the Hub and I'm sorry that your experience is so negative. It's a bit harsh as feedback goes, but not undeserved. You're right, if you're installing a Unity Editor manually, the Hub won't let you manage modules for that version. This sucks, because given that the Hub doesn't currently have pause/resume/retry downloads, most of our users with unstable connections are probably better off downloading Unity directly via a browser. So if you were prioritising features for the Hub, would you rather first have a more robust download manager (the aforementioned pause/resume/retry) or a better Locate functionality? If I read your post correctly, it seems that a better Locate is needed because you feel that the Hub is not currently a reliable download manager for Unity. What do you think?

Well played with "com'on guys, you're the Unity development team, you solve really though problems, and this should be piece of cake for you".

3. georgeq

georgeq

Before the hub was released we were used to download and install versions manually, it was a bit tricky to have multiple versions working simultaneously but it was possible. I guess the lack of a tool for such propose made users willing to get their hands dirty, but since the Hub has been released users became lazy, and part of the knowledge was somehow forgotten. So if the Hub fails for whatever reason, it becomes a frustrating experience. It's like upgrading from a bike to a motorcycle, and then, after you get used and confortable with to the motorcycle, one day it breaks and you can't make it work anymore, you like the motorcycle so much that every day to try to start it, but since you can't get the engine running, you're forced to use the bike.