Search Unity

Localization package. Save yourself a lot of time in the future, enable localization!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MikeHergaarden, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

The effortless solution to localization, language management and translation.
    New in the asset store the Localization package.

As a part of gathering all essential tools that we need for any future game development we've created this localization package. This package features an all in solution for localizing your games. The goal of this project was to, once and for all, create a perfect localization solution that is dead-easy to use. The next time you work out a licensing deal you can have the localization ready up front!

Much effort has gone into polishing the usability. This is to ensure that there should be no reason not to integrate it in a game, even when you don't plan on offering translations at all. Furthermore it is a plus to have all your games texts outside of the code to allow others to improve the texts.

Features:
    • Super easy to use
    • C# source code
    • Compatible with JS, Boo and C#
    • Support as many and any language you want
    • Optional automatic translations
    • Google docs integration for smooth collaboration
    • Builds do not need an internet connection: 1 button to bake your translations
    • Detects local language and remembers last language setting
    • Compatible with all Unity platforms

Download now
    Read full documentation

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    This looks great, but I have one question.
    I had a quick look through the doc but could see nothing related to handling of localised image files.

See http://gamerizon.com/category/unity3d/ for an example.

Does your package handle this?

ty!

3. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Very good point.
    Submitted update 1.01:
    -Language.GetAsset(string name) has been added.
    -LocalizeAsset.cs can be attached to gameobjects to localize an asset automatically
    -These asset translations do need to be present as "Resources/Language/LANGUAGECODE/ASSETNAME"
    -Editorscript: "verify localized assets" helps you to verify if all localized assets are present correctly in all languages.
    -Demo + documentation expanded for this new feature

4. sonicviz

sonicviz

Great.
    How does this work with custom font filesfor each language? Do you use the localised asset for font files to be replaced inside guistyles or how does that work exactly?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yes custom font files would be localized assets. You can replace the material/texture and font data inside the GUIstyle indeed.
    I'm on a holiday for the next two weeks, but I could add a demo after.

6. sonicviz

sonicviz

That would be excellent if I could see a working demo incorporating multilingual fonts and images.
    Have a good break!

7. sonicviz

sonicviz

HI,
    Did you manage to add this? I'm looking at localising now.

Cheers,
    sv

8. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I've just submitted an update to the asset store, it should be live by tonight or otherwise tomorrow.

The demo now shows a of the "LocalizedAssets" for GUI font files. This can be extended to whatever GUI solution you use.

Furthermore, for this purpose a callback has been added, you can add the function "ChangedLanguage" to any of your scripts and it will be called whenever the language has changed.

This should hopefully help you out!

9. brownsky

brownsky

Hi Mike,

is it possible to dynamically load new languages (text and assets) as asset bundles into the build and use them with this package?

Cheers,
    Martin

10. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

brownsky:
    At the moment all localized assets are loaded via Resources.Load. However, it could be quite easily adapted to also accept some (predefined) asset bundles and check where an asset is available.

So: Currently, there is no asset bundle support but expanding this is very easy. This will certainly make a good addition when I have some more time.

11. oxl

oxl

Hi Leepo,

I recently have bought your package and I am happy with the overall ease of use and the Google docs integration in detail.

There is one little problem, though. I need to have multi lines in some fields, so hitting alt-return does a new line in gDocs.
    When updating your Language Editor function throws an error saying that key is missing.
    It is obviously not and i can confirm that that line break inserted in gDocs raises the error. ( No error with no linebreak)

Do you think there might be a solution for that problem ? I did a quick look inside your code but was not getting too far.

Though I might work around that issue, it would be nice if it would be possible to use multi lines , too.

In any case, thank you for that asset, really useful and time saving.

--
    oxl

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  12. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

oxl: Thanks, glad it's helpfull. I'll have a look at the newlines, hopefully today/this weekend.

13. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I've committed a fix to the asset store package with support for new lines (1.04).
    It should be live within 1 or 2 days, depending on the asset store team.

14. oxl

oxl

Hi Leepo ,

Thank you so much for the quick fix , much appreciated !

Cheers,

--
    oxl

15. rsouza

rsouza

Hy my friend, how are you?

I have a question, i bought your package. My sheet document in GDocs have more than one sheet, but when i press UPDATE TRANSLATE, in console this show it:

" No sheets found, or your spreadsheet has only 1 sheet. We are assuming that the first sheet has ID '0'. "

How can i fix it?
    Tks

16. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I submitted an update yesterday which should be live by now (1.07). Can you please try updating and see if that helps?
    Otherwise please PM me the URL that you entered for your spreadsheet and I'll have a look why it doesn't work properly.

17. imtrobin

imtrobin

how does this handle languages like chinese, japanese?

18. Madgeniy

Madgeniy

Hello. I have one UnityPro project on Windows and the same project on Mac. In windows all right, but in Mac i have message "MISSING LANG". Source of projects is only one. What I could do?

19. Madgeniy

Madgeniy

I just clean package from demo and languages folder, now it works well!

20. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Madgeniy: I'm glad you figured it out :).

imtrobin: This package does not limit the usage of Asian languages. Chinese/Japanese is supported. When using the default mac/windows languages it'll work out of the box. The most important thing you need to take care of is to make sure to use correct font files (Asian font files can be huge!). The included demo also shows usage of 1 or 2 Asian languages. The package can switch language files when switching the language setting (using localized assets).

21. shadowfork

shadowfork

I have no problems running it on a webplayer. It's flawless.

However, I need to use it for my mobile version. Unfortunately it prompts me the fonts cannot be 'dynamic'.

So basically now, all fonts are invisible.

How do you go about this?

Thanks.

22. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

23. shadowfork

shadowfork

I'm using the default system font Arial to render all fonts.

If the characters aren't there, they won't render on the webplayer.

But they do. The problem is when you switch to build for iOS.

Has anyone tried this with iOS with non Roman alphabets (Korean, Japanese, Chinese) ?

Like what I said on the email Mike, try compiling your demo scene to iOS and you'll see the font disappear as well.

I don't want to replace the font. Arial has all the characters I need. I just want it to render on mobile just like it does in the webplayer.

24. safajnaseef

safajnaseef

Hi,

Does this package support right to left languages like Arabic?

Thanks.

25. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Is using Unity4 an option for you? I have tried and the new Unity4 dynamic font rendering works out of the box: The package works fine and even the asian languages show up using Arial.

This should not matter for the localization pacakage itself as it's more about the language management integration of things. Any language should work fine now with Unity4.

26. ShadedLife

ShadedLife

Hi Mike, my question is similar to sfajnaseef's. You said that right to left languages wouldn't matter because it's about the management of things and it works fine with Unity4 but I am still having a problem.

I have Arabic in my google doc and the characters display in the demo but they seem to be going left to right instead of right to left. Is there some flag I have to switch or some particular way I have to have the Arabic in the google doc? Right now I'm just using the googleTranslate trick to get the translations so it makes it right to left there.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

27. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Ahh I see now. It all works fine in the google spreadsheet. But the export of that removes the right-to-left formatting.

What I have in place now is a check that checks for arabic characters in the value..if any, it'll automatically reverse the entire string. This works fine, although this does mess up any special characters (such as the {X} that I use for inserting data..will be turned around as }X{).

This is easy to work around, but not yet an ideal solution.
    If you'd like to test it and see if there are any other specific problems please let me know. (PM or mail me and I'll send you the 1 file that changed)

28. funasylum

funasylum

Thanks for such a great package. This is simply awesome!!

Sorry for the dumb question-- after a quick look I wasn't able to determine the function for procedurally changing the current language. Is there a way to swap the current language manually to override the autodetect?

thanks so much! great work on this.

29. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yes thats possible, see the demo script:

30. funasylum

funasylum

Thanks very much, Mike!

And in case anyone else finds this useful, I found a great free asset that lets you use system fonts on ios and android (mac only):
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/140751

And here's a super simple script I wrote for making it play nice with Localization package:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. // drop this on a sysfonttext object.  in the inspector, hook up theSysFont.  Then
    5. // type in your Language.Get 'code' in the localizationCode field (ie GAME_TITLE)
    7. public class SeedFontWithLocalization : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     public string localizationCode;
    10.     public SysFontText theSysFont;
    11.     private string stringToPass;
    13.     void Start ()
    14.     {
    15.         SeedFont ();   
    16.     }
    18.     void SeedFont ()
    19.     {
    20.         if (localizationCode != null) {
    21.             stringToPass = Language.Get (localizationCode);
    22.             theSysFont.Text = stringToPass;
    23.         }
    24.     }
    25. }
    UPDATE: caution that the localizationCode you input in the inspector gets serialized. So you'll have to hit 'reset' (little gear next to the name of the script on each instance) and re-enter the localizationCode when you want to update your localizations.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  31. funasylum

funasylum

<UPDATE-- FIXED!>

Thanks Mike for helping me determine the source of this error-- I guess the google URL I was pasting into localization ended with =html instead of =csv. Changing that fixed this error for me.

Hi -- i'm also getting this error. I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest version (purchased two weeks ago). Was there ever a fix found for this error?

My spreadsheet only has one sheet. I tried adding another sheet and still got the error.

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  32. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

If you PM or email me your gDocs url I can have a look at the "no sheets found" error.

33. dd619

dd619

Hello Mike,

Your asset is seems to very useful.Great work!!!

But i have a question ,is this asset works for unity-android?

i am developing a game in unity 4.0, in which i have used some android controls like alertdialog,radioButtons,progressDialog (please see image below) by using android plugins for unity,and i want to localize it.is it possible with your asset?

$dialoimage.png

And also i want to know that is this asset is work for GUI class in unity like Button,Label etc.

Please help me.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  34. Matt-Face

Matt-Face

Hi Mike,

I have Just purchased your asset and I am trying to follow through the examples in the documentation but i am getting the following result "MISSING LANG:GAME_TITLE"
    I also noticed from messages in the console that the referenced script on the "Wooglie" GameObject is missing in the demo.
    I tried reimporting the asset and now i am getting the following:

"No sheets found, or your spreadsheet has only 1 sheet. We are assuming that the first sheet has ID '0'. (You can fix this by simply adding a second sheet as this will allow ID lookup via HTML output)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    LanguageEditor:GetSpreadSheetIDs(String) (at Assets/Localization/Editor/LanguageEditor.cs:586)
    LanguageEditor:LoadSettings(String) (at Assets/Localization/Editor/LanguageEditor.cs:200)
    LanguageEditor:OnGUI() (at Assets/Localization/Editor/LanguageEditor.cs:104)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    "

I tried adding a second sheet but i am getting the same result...

35. Tripwire

Tripwire

Hi,

I'm using your localization package which works perfectly. But when i change the language at runtime, it doesn't work well. Not everything gets updated and for instance some parts of the text are German, and some parts of the text are English which is a bit weird.
    So when i push the button this code runs:
    Language.SwitchLanguage(LanguageCode.EN);

I've wrote this in JS.

Thx!

36. WildMaN

WildMaN

37. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Sorry for the trouble, we recently changed our website. The link works again!

38. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

How are you displaying your texts? Unity OnGUI or e.g. NGUI?
    I've never heard of this bug before. The system should switch properly, but possibly the translated texts are cached by your code?

Fixed, removed.

Double check the link you are using, is it getting any results at all?
    Verify the link ends with: &output=csv&single=true&gid=0

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  39. asalga

asalga

Is the Demo scene setup to run properly the first time around? I created a new project, Imported the package, but upon running the Demo Scene, I just get "MISSING LANG: MAIN_WELCOME", "MISSING_LANG: MAIN_INTRO"

Any help?

40. Apiweb

Apiweb

Is compatible with NGUI? How to works?
    Works offline?

41. td0239

td0239

Hi,
    Is it possible to differentiate between variants of a language? Specifically I'm thinking of en (English) and en-US (American English)?

42. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Update 1.13 is live on the Unity asset store to fix compatability with Win8Store.
    Get it here: http://u3d.as/content/m2h/localization-package/1Ya
    If you are updating, make sure to delete the LightXML folder after updating.

NGUI compatability:
    Yes, you can attach the new NGUILocalizeM2H.cs script to any ngui lebel to have it auto translated.

"Is it possible to differentiate between variants of a language? Specifically I'm thinking of en (English) and en-US (American English)?"
    In 1.13 i added EN_US, EN_UK and PT_BR to the LanguageCodes. So if you use these in the google doc all will work right away. Do note that auto translation will only return EN for english computers. So either use EN and EN_UK or go for EN and EN_US (where EN is your default for english).

43. GameMechanics

GameMechanics

Okay. Total noob question. I am trying to call Language.Get() and it is saying - BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'Language'. I am going over the manual line by line but not seeing anything that will help.

Thanks!

44. GameMechanics

GameMechanics

Never mind. I am using JavaScript and did not read the comment about moving the Plugins folder. It was in there.

45. OneThree

OneThree

There's been a change to Google Docs: you can no longer publish a spreadsheet as a CSV. You can read about it here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21189665/new-google-spreadsheets-publish-limitation.

When I follow along to the documentation, I get to the publish step and my publish screen looks different than the one in the support PDF. There is no option for CSV; it just gives me the link, which is html.

The html link doesn't work in the tool, I assume b/c it expects a CSV.

So as of now, the tool is unusable. Is there a workaround or update on the way?

46. olivier-etienne

olivier-etienne

Same problem here!!!
    The following message appear when trying to update translation:
    No sheets could be imported. Either they are all empty or you enter a wrong link.
    Please copy the link again and verify your spreadsheet.

I have sent a support email yesterday, I have not had a response yet.

47. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

How annoying from Google. I'm working on a fix.

48. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Fixed in v 1.15.
    It'll continue working on the old CSV export and also for the new gDocs spreadsheet HTML output.
    No need to update if your sheets are still working on the old gDocs.

49. mr_fox

mr_fox

Hello,
    can't seem to make the new google config work
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    LanguageEditor.GetSpreadSheetIDs (System.String gDocsUrl) (at Assets/Localization/Editor/LanguageEditor.cs:606)
    could you post a snippet of the accepted url format ?

thanks

50. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden