Search Unity

Question Locale fallback on missing translation

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by b4gn0, Oct 19, 2020.

1. b4gn0

b4gn0

Hello,

Is there a way to set up Localization to fallback to a default locale on missing translations only?

Example: locale is set to "it"; get the text from a LocalizedString -> it is not set for italian -> fallback to english translation?

This is different from the locale fallback you get by specifying multiple locale selectors in the settings.

Thank you for this amazing package, we are in the process of adding translation support on all our scriptable objects / UI / etc. and it has been a breeze!

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Fallback is planned but not implemented yet.
    We do have the ability to assign fallback locales through metadata

upload_2020-10-19_10-25-5.png

This info is not used at the moment but would be used in the future to do the fallback from 1 locale table to another.

3. b4gn0

b4gn0

Thank you, I just set it as you suggested.

Guess now we'll wait for the feature :)

karl_jones likes this.
  4. Laumania

Laumania

I'm waiting too for this feature - as it's better to fallback to english in my oppinion than to a "No translation found for 'XXXX'".
    Maybe an option, as some wants that. In my case, I rather fallback to english :D

Hope this feature will come soon, because this Localization package you have build here is just pure awesomeness already!

karl_jones likes this.
  5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Fallback support will be in the next release 0.10.0, ETA end of January.

6. Laumania

Laumania

Oh, that is very awesome - can't wait for that update. I will get that automatic, or at least see it, in the package manager as I added the git repository source?

I really like this localization package - so easy to use and setup and the Google Sheet integration is brilliant!
    I have setup a Google Sheet, with some permission on each column/language, so my community helps translate the game - works really well and easy to push/pull updates.

karl_jones likes this.
  7. Ciryus

Ciryus

Hello, is any update on that point? I am using Use Fallback for an Asset Data Table but with no success, it always return null (if locale not in the table or if entry empty in the problematic locale)

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ah we currently only have it implemented for string tables. It will be coming for asset tables in the future, hopefully the next release.

Ciryus likes this.
  9. hadesfury

hadesfury

EDIT:
    Spoke too quick, I did not tick the Use Fallback options in "Project Settings > Localization"

But I let my post here, if somebody have answers to other questions,

Thanks anyway ;)

EDIT2: it could be handy to have the "Translation not found" message even if the fallback is used

EDIT3: maybe you can specify in the doc what are the option to improve the "translation not found" message to display the language.
    Here is my solution : No translation found for '{key}' in {table.TableCollectionName} for language {table.LocaleIdentifier}

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What do you mean? We should still be doing this if we eventually do not find a translation.

Ah yes it looks like we only specify it in the scripting docs but having something in the manual is also a good idea.
    This is the info we have at the moment https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...lizedStringDatabase_NoTranslationFoundMessage

11. hadesfury

hadesfury

Thanks for you quick answer :D

What I meant is that most of the time when you are in a fallback situation, it is because you miss some translation in your game.
    Being warned about these can be interesting if you are using an error agregator such as Unity reporting system, you want to track those missing localization.

It is maybe a small use case and as I think of it, it is probably handled by the spreadsheet system.

karl_jones likes this.