Search Unity

Local Wifi multi-device game (android - PC)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Le_Gringo, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Le_Gringo

Le_Gringo

To begin: Sorry for my English, I am a french person and I try to make some efforts to write properly.
    Secondly: I don't know if this question have already been posted but I can't find the answer.
    Finally: I am an beginner and I am a "graphic designer", not a programmer. My project is for personnal use (school project), not for commercial use. that's why my post risk to contain a bad understanding of unity technology.

Hi Everyone,

I would realize a little project: i wanna create a game which could be played with 4 android mobile devices and a PC which will act as a central stage for all the player.
    To explain, every player should be able to give answer to a quizz displayed on the PC screen (example: Kowledge Is Power on PS4 with the PlayLink concept).

I need some help to know where I am supposed to begin.
    Do you have any tutorial which will help me to make this?
    Does the Unet depreciation risk to cause some issues with this project ?

Thank you very much and sorry if the question have been posted already :(

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Pretty much any networking API would be able to handle this. Investigate the various networking API's, try out a few, go through their tutorials, etc, as a first step.

I'd avoid Unet due to it being removed in the near future, but there are plenty of 3rd party API's available.

3. Le_Gringo

Le_Gringo

Thank you for your answer. Do you have some suggestions? Except Unet, is there an API considered as « noob friendly » ?

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Multiplayer networking is often very custom tailored to each game and it's needs, so unfortunately it's not too noob friendly overall as a subject. I'd agree that you should just start learning the available free libraries you can find in active development and see which fits your needs based on reviews and tutorials.

5. Jos-Yule

Jos-Yule

I'd look at the community run "replacement" (fork of the public codebase) for Unet called Mirror. You can find it on the Asset store here - https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/network/mirror-129321 - or on GitHub here - https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror . Project is being actively worked on, as the main devs use it for their own MMO game. As it follows (most) of the classic Unet API, the existing docs and examples for building things using Unet apply. YMMV, My 2-cents, IMHO, etc etc. Good Luck!

MD_Reptile and Joe-Censored like this.
  6. Le_Gringo

Le_Gringo

Ok i’ll check it out. Thank you guys