Search Unity

Question Local Shader Keyword Restrictions

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by lukamoon, Aug 2, 2021.

1. lukamoon

lukamoon

Unity's documents detail a bit on local shader keywords here - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-MultipleProgramVariants.html. In the documentation, it also states that "There is a maximum of 64 unique local keywords per shader." Seeing as you define the keywords inside of a pass, I was wondering if by "per shader" the 64 limit was applied per .shader file as a whole or per-pass inside of a shader file. Thanks :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Invertex

Invertex

I'm not too sure on that one, I would assume per-shader file since I think they'd mention Pass if it was that way, not to mention you can't change a keyword value on just a specific pass from script, you can only set it on the material/shader as a whole.
    But I would also note that in 2021.2, the limit has been raised to 65534, so essentially no limit.

lukamoon likes this.
  3. lukamoon

lukamoon

I'll assume this to be true since, after thinking about it some more after posting, keywords are stored in the material and then passed to the shader - and the material doesn't really consider passes when passing said information. That's great to know about 2021, thanks so much for your input!

4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Yes, it's per shader, not per pass.

lukamoon likes this.