Search Unity

Local Natural Language Processing Library?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greglieb, Sep 13, 2018.

1. greglieb

greglieb

Hey folks,

I am working on a Grammar game and would like to leverage Part-Of-Speech tagging from a NLP library. I have found lots of online options for NLP libraries such as Google Cloud Natural Language, but I'm wondering if any Unity plugins exist to run a NLP library locally on a client device.

If no plugins exist, could I possibly take something like https://spacy.io/ which is written in Cython, compile it to a dll, then wrap that as a Unity plugin?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Instead of trying to convert, which may be none trivial task, you should focus on building an interface, which will talk between Unity and python app, if that what you want.

3. greglieb

greglieb

I'm deploying this game as a mobile app on iOS and Android, so bundling the NLP library with the game is essential. Given the file size demands of the English language NLP data, I have decided I am better off running a 100% server-side NLP implementation.

4. Max_Aigner

Max_Aigner

Hi Greglieb,

How is it going with the project. Did you take Spacy.io on serverside and how did it work out?
    I find your project very interesting, that could benefit a lot of Unity people in the future, I think

greetings
    Max

5. greglieb

greglieb

I integrated my project with Firebase, and since that was on Google Cloud, it was trivial for me to leverage Google's NLP API. This saved me time and the economics are pretty reasonable too.