Search Unity

Local Addressables built into the app has Large APK Size

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Ben-BearFish, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

After doing a build with Addressables our APK size is twice the size. I was under the impression that Addressables were suppose to make build sizes smaller. Is this incorrect?

2. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Did you already run the analyse tool and use "fix selected" to have it automatically create the "duplicate assets" group(s)?
    The only reason size grows is that you might be packing the same asset in multiple bundles. (or you are saving it uncompressed and previously compressed?)

3. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@MikeHergaarden I ran the Fix Selected for duplicates and the size is still larger. I'm perplexed by the situation.

4. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

Are your assets also included in the build? Any direct references inside built scenes will be included in the build.

RecursiveFrog likes this.
  5. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Think that might be it. We have one scene with a bunch of UI that is probably pulling the UI/SpriteAtalses in twice. It'd be nice if Unity could detect that and prevent the duplicates. I guess until then, I can mark the scene as addressable.

6. arielsan

arielsan

It is happening for us too, but if we clean all the addressable stuff and rebuild from 0, it works ok. It seems that there is something cached in Library or in addressables that ends up with a double sized build.

Well not sure, we kept testing and it seems it is the other way, a clean build in our buildserver creates a double sized build, but if we build again without cleaning, the second time it has the right size. Probably an issue with how we run the build addresables from 0 from a buildscript.... I will try to reproduce the case in a separated project if I have time later.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020