Search Unity

LoadSceneAsync performance

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Ringg, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Ringg

Ringg

I'm using addressables in my project in order to increase project granularity and reduce load times.
    My problem is that the process of loading an addressable scene is about 3.5 times longer that loading a regular one.
    I reproduced the issue in a simple project that has a small scene that loads a bigger, addressable scene that references 110 heavy texture files weighing 300MB total or so.

This takes process 1400ms on average on addressables
    and about 450ms without addressables
    below there's a profiler screenshot: 1 - loading operation started, 2 - loading is finished
    upload_2019-9-19_11-22-36.png

After fiddling a bit, I've discovered that I can separate the operation of loading the dependent assets ahead of time with Addressables.DownloadDependenciesAsync and then immediately load the scene after the operation is done.

The preloading takes about 1000ms,
    the loading scene itself takes 450ms (the same as regular loading),
    and so the loading time stays consistent with previous case.

So the thing I need is to get as close to the regular loading time as possible. Any info relating to how this can be achieved on an explanation why it is like it is would be useful. I'm also interested in any explanation to why does the dependency loading takes so long and why it's not needed without addressables.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019