Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading.UpdatePreloading taking up precious time for no reason

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Antony-Blackett, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Is this normal?

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 5.44.13 pm.png

As you can see it takes up 1.5 milliseconds per frame and occasionally spikes to 3-6 milliseconds.

I'm wondering if this is normal? Has anyone come across this before? I've never noticed it when profiling my other games. I'm not loading things every frame and I've even gone so far as to remove all Resources.Load calls from my game to ensure I wasn't.

Does anyone who why this might be happening?

2. iMacWang

iMacWang

[QUOTE =“安东尼布莱克特,后:1668664,会员:35561”]这是正常的吗?

[ATTACH =全] 104535 [/ ATTACH]

正如你可以看到它占据了每帧1.5毫秒,偶尔尖峰3-6毫秒。

我想知道如果这是正常的吗?有没有人遇到过了吗?分析我的其他游戏的时候我从来没有注意到这一点。我不是装东西的每一帧,我什至走了这么远,删除我的游戏所有Resources.Load调用,以确保我没有。

有谁谁,为什么会这样?[/ QUOTE]

我也有同样的疑问? Loading.UpdatePreloading有什么作用? 以及Application.LoadLevelAsymc in Background的工作原理

3. ErwanB

ErwanB

Definitely not.
    The same occurs with an empty project using Unity 4.5.
    Calls to Loading.UpdatePreloading > Application.Integrate Assets in Background did occur in previous versions but cost was insignificant.

I have this problem on iOS builds, sometimes this is taking up to 70% of my frame time so quite a huge deal.
    An issue has been opened, please vote so it will hopefully get fixed in the next minor version:
    http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/iss...nd-has-greatly-increased-call-time-in-4-dot-5

waglchn likes this.
  4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Yay I'm not crazy! Thanks. I've up voted the issue. Have you submit a bug through the bug submission tool? I find Unity are pretty good and fixing bugs I submit with simple reproduction projects attached.

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

612928 is with devs for fixing. The issue tracker link earlier in the thread represents a bug posted by a high profile game development company, so I suspect this issue is high on a list for fixing.

6. ErwanB

ErwanB

Great news ! Now we just have to wait for unity devs to perform their magic :)
    Thanks for the update Graham !

7. ErwanB

ErwanB

8. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Yeah, I does seem ridiculous to spend a ~10% of a frame time on something I have never needed to do before... It's also strange that issue was marked as a Regression bug but also as By Design... seems like an oxymoron.

9. Gavin-Park

Gavin-Park

If it can be improved "By Design", can anyone let me know how? Even with a extremely simple scene with some GUIs only, updatepreloading makes significant performance hit. On iOS 8.x, this seems to be really issue. So anyone?

10. Bravo_cr

Bravo_cr

There is a new issue opened :

The problem persist on version 4.5.5

11. woko

woko

I too am seing this issues, retina iPad mini ios 8, ~1.18ms per frame

12. DaGround

DaGround

well i dont have unity pro with a profiler but i have serious performance issues with the new version.

if i create a new project with an empty scene and just run it, i'm at 13-15ms!! it used to be around 0.1 ms.

My existing upgraded projects doent seem to have this issue unless i am creating a new terrain..

and i was so looking forward for oculus programming with the dk2 and the free plugin but i cant get stable framerates with that problem :(

(specs: i7 2600k & r9 290)

13. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

15 ms sounds like it's vsnycing so it's waiting for the frame, essentially it's wasting the excess time. Turn off vSync and try it again. Note that vsync cannot be turned off on iPhones so you'll never get faster than 60 fps

As for my initial post... this is still happening. Any updates Unity? I don't want 10% of my frame gone to something that's totally not doing anything.

Thanks in advance.

14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Did this ever get fixed as using Unity 4.6.9 final and seeing lot of spikes on Android?

15. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I haven't heard anything, I also haven't profiled it in a while to know if it's still happening.

16. Astarorr

Astarorr

Have same issue with Loading.UpdatePreloading on 5.3.1. On Corei7 4790 it takes 14ms per frame, reducing framerate to 60FPS. On Lumia 640 it reducing FPS from stable 50-55 to 8 FPS.

17. BongoMongo

BongoMongo

Same here with on iOS using Unity 5.3.1p1. Seeing spikes up to 700ms in the profiler

18. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

Having similar issues on Android on latest Unity 5.3.x as well as 5.2.x. In our case the
    Loading.UpdatePreloading -> Application.Integrate Assets in Background -> Loading.LockPersistentManager takes 2218ms!!!!!

leni8ec likes this.
  19. TamaHobbit

TamaHobbit

This is still a problem, but I guess we can't open another issue since it has already been closed.

20. MrRightclick

MrRightclick

Sorry for possibly necroposting, but our project also had a huge problem with SceneManager.LoadScene() causing long (10-15 second) loading times on mobile during the first reload of a scene (pressing the Restart button the first time during a scene), and the profiler showed Loading.UpdatePreloading taking up 98% total. After the first restart the load times were back to 1-2 seconds, but this sudden spike and wait time was really troublesome for our testers.

We had to revert back to using Application.LoadLevel for now. This reduced the Loading.UpdatePreloading spikes to 45-58% and loading times back down to the usual 1-2 seconds.

We are running on Unity 5.3.2f1 Personal, so not the latest available version.

KuRouZu and MrEsquire like this.
  21. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Your issue sounds different to the one we were talking about. Your issues appears to be when you are actually loading something. We were suffering a performance hit from UpdatePreLoading when we weren't even loading anything and in my case I never even used async loading.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  22. helios

helios

Have the same issue here using 5.3.4. Never once have i used async loading, nor am I ever attempting to load things on the fly. Quite troubling as it took 295ms according to the profiler.

23. SavedByZero

SavedByZero

GAFs will also do this, if any of you are using those. I cut out all my GAF animations, created a single mesh for each state and frame of the gaf at the beginning of the game, and have my own "Non-GAF animation" use shared meshes that read from those universal meshes when needed. That fixed it for me completely.

24. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

what is a GAF animation?

25. SavedByZero

SavedByZero

GAFMedia.com. Converts swfs to Unity format for 2d games. Ambitious but buggy.

26. Qbit86

Qbit86

Hit spike for 105737.37 ms in Unity 5.5.4p1 (latest in 5.5.*). Almost two minutes freeze! Any fixes for that?

27. Dabartos

Dabartos

1/07/2017

upload_2017-7-1_19-6-40.png

28. Killersan

Killersan

Got exactly same issue as Esteem, 200ms spikes with same profile hierarchy.
    I found out that it was caused by this function Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets()

Attached Files:

29. HalversonS

HalversonS

Just started happening for us after updating to 2017.1. Takes about 20 seconds to load the next scene on the first scene load. Doesn't appear to be helping anything... just causing a needless delay. And it's sporadic. Happens about 60% of the time.

30. MysticRice

MysticRice

This recently was happening in my game, it would actually restart my entire game. Deleting the code i had that restarted the level worked, so maby it lies in a scenemanager.code ? sorry iam new to unity; just had ran through the same problem , found myself in this thread, fixed it and was hoping that what i found might help you all.

31. milgrade

milgrade

@Killersan may be onto something; I commented out some lines of Resources.UnloadAsset within OnDestroy from an inherited class and that dropped the Profiler counts way down.

So maybe this has something to do with unloading resources. Just started happening to me after upgrading to Unity 2017.1.1f1 and DEV_Unity_2017.2.0 of the Mixed Reality Toolkit.

32. joshcamas

joshcamas

I am also having a problem with this as well. 66% taken up by this function.

33. MostHated

MostHated

I am having this issue as well and it is causing my scene to stutter like once a second or so. It is using 91 - 93%....

https://i.imgur.com/kd9AgPJ.png

Edit, nevermind. Turns out it was a new asset I installed. They have since issued a patch.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  34. jAchtzehn

jAchtzehn

I am having the same issures, could you (MostHated) please tell us which asset it was?

35. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

Does anyone has a solution? 100ms spike every second for one method (GC.MarkDependencies) is quite lethal for my game.

waglchn likes this.
  36. masoudarvishian

masoudarvishian

I am having the same problem -> Unity 2017.3.0f3

37. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

ok 2018.2.0f2 happening randomly.

On start cpu is like 80ms :\ open profiler and saw it but it was totally pre freez and finally freezed.

Ir player dyes and respawn issue seemed gon once...

38. marcrem

marcrem

same here.

39. Felipeota

Felipeota

This is happening to us as well. I looked for UnloadUnusedAssets as @Killersan mentioned and found that the I2 locatlization plugin was calling it. Commenting it made the problem go away. But of course now I have to check what resources are left hanging on the I2 plugin because of that.

40. DanTaylor

DanTaylor

Oh. My. God.
    This has been driving me mad from months.
    I too am using I2 localization.
    I commented out the UnloadUnusedAssets and the nasty 2 second freeze the first time a localised UI element appears is now gone.
    Thanks, @Felipeota!

P.S. I2 Loc is pretty awesome apart from this, by the way.

MGGDev likes this.