Search Unity

Loading Tutorial Source Content into Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by A4L, Nov 29, 2018.

1. A4L

A4L

There is a tutorial I would like to have a go at I found on youtube about making a Text Adventure Game in UNITY....

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting/introduction-and-goals

I think it was a live stream at one point...

Anyway... I am very new to UNITY and still confused about the project folders and stuff. I have done the initial "fundamental" tutorials.. but this youtube tutorial requires you to load a downloaded per-existing file.. rather than just use the in game tools to create demo objects to lean things like attach scripts etc etc.

So how exactly do you do this.. just unarchiving the source files into a directory and double clicking on "Main.unity" in "Assets" loads the project... but is that the correct way to do it? Or am I supposed to create my own project and then import it somehow?

Just a little confused about this "project folder" stuff.

Also.... when I load the file I get this...

So what is a "re-import" ?

2. gamedevbill

gamedevbill

The way you opened the project is just fine. Unity provided you a complete project. If you ever have an existing project, and open a complete one on top of it (generally by getting the project from the asset store) it'll just overwrite your base project. So you might as well open it the way you did.

As to the import, Unity "imports" everything in the Assets directory. That's how it reads things, and gives you the ability to edit/interact/etc. The reason for the popup is that some of assets may not have the same data across different versions of Unity. So if the sample project had, say, lighting data, Unity may have changed what is saved in "lighting data" so the inport will alter the assets. Ideally, this always just works, and the old assets run fine in the new editor. That's not always reality, hence the warning popup. It's a blind popup that appears whenever you upgrade regardless or what's in your project.

-GDB

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would right click Assets in my Project window, Import Package > Custom Package, locate your downloaded folder and find any package folder that brings up a file format Unity agrees with. You'll see the Unity logo. If it's an empty folder in the browser it can't import it.

4. A4L

A4L

thanks guys.