Search Unity

Loading Shaders from Asset Bundles

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Digika, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Digika

Digika

Does anyone know why these aren't searchable via Shader.Find() and is there a way to make them work properly?
    Sure, I can load them directly as an Asset via Bundle.LoadAsset, but there is plenty of Unity code that uses Shader.Find() so I need them to be available for the native API.

2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Shader.Find()
    searches only the shaders that have been loaded. When a shader is in an asset bundle, you have control over when the asset bundle and its contents get loaded.

3. Digika

Digika

Yes, and that is my issue, for example, with UIToolkit that rigidly bound to global Shader.Find to work.
    Is there way to somehow populate global shader cache/resource from bundle? Even if via some hack?

4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

You just need to load the bundle before something uses Shader.Find(). There's no way around it.

5. Digika

Digika

To make it clear - before ANYTHING uses Shader.Find() for the first time? Because if so, I do it very early at startup/boottime before (during) first splashscreen scene is loaded.

UPD: just tested, I indeed load my AsetBundle before first call to Shader.Find()

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021