Search Unity

Loading ScriptableObjects?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by LlamaFarmer42, Jan 31, 2019.

1. LlamaFarmer42

LlamaFarmer42

I'm using instances of a ScriptableObject called ItemRef to hold an item's name, and reference its prefab and its inventory prefab.

I'm trying to load them using Addressables, labelled as "ItemRef". I'm using the code below, but it's not returning the the actual assets. It's returning a list of nulls of the right length, so it's finding the label entries but not getting the actual objects back.

public class ItemRef : ScriptableObject { ... }

public class ItemRefLoader
    {

public void Load()
    {
    Addressables.LoadAssets<ItemRef>("ItemRef", null).Completed += OnItemsLoaded;
    }

private void OnItemsLoaded (IAsyncOperation<IList<ItemRef>> op)
    {
    items = new List<ItemRef>(op.Result);
    // op.Result = [null, null, null, null]
    }
    }

Can you load ScriptableObjects directly?

I assumed it would be the same as the examples for loading a Material, but swapping the type. I've tried using ScriptableObject as the type, but it had the same result of a list of nulls.

mandisaw likes this.
  2. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@MaxBrowser yes you can. See the log and check if there are any deserialization problems. Currently in our WebGL builds we are running into some problems but I have done so successfully before (0.5.3, Unity 2018.3.2f1, new build player content after a change -> updates are not always detected to scriptable objects)

3. unity_bill

unity_bill

Please try what @MNNoxMortem suggests, and if the problem persists, create a Unity bug report with a sample project.