Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Loading scene from a second project's bundles works, but scene is empty

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Fabraz, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Fabraz

Fabraz

Hiya!
    I'm currently trying to build a ugc system for my project using Addressables and Steam Workshop. The idea is to make a second project with a subset of the games prefabs and scripts available to users to create new levels, upload them to the workshop, and then download and play them in the main project.

So far I have the bundles building, uploading, and downloading correctly, but when loading the new content catalog and scene, the new scene loads in totally empty. The bundle itself is 37mb and loads properly in its own project, so the bundle itself seems to be fine. My approach has been to load the second content catalog, then copy the bundle to the relevant directory (I've tried both the standard Addressables directory as well as spoofing a local directory for remote bundles), but both exhibit the same issue.

Anybody have any ideas where I'm going wrong? I've had issues with broken references or missing dependencies when loading addressables in the past, but never just the scene itself being totally empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Fabraz

Fabraz

An example of the main projects view with the issue.
    Capture.PNG
    CustomLevel is a wrapping scene that loads in the external bundle, in this case the empty "Sample Level". This issue only happens in the main project, loading up the bundle from the ugc project that created it, it displays fine.

3. Fabraz

Fabraz

Also just tested out loading a prefab rather than a scene from the external project. Same result of the key was found and the loading operation completes without error, but the resulting GameObject is null in the result field.

4. Fabraz

Fabraz

Alright, figured out the issue! Turns out I had missed setting the Build Architecture to 64 bit in the content project, so the bundles were incompatible. Fixing that now has the system working as expected