Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Loading of Assets in Project Tiny?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by _watcher_, Jan 18, 2021.

1. _watcher_

_watcher_

Hi!

Can someone please TLDR me on what asset types and what kind of systems are available to load remote assets into Project Tiny 0.31 ? The idea is i need to have a small core build and load/unload additional assets as needed.

Ill try to make a list of things, just Yes/No if you can, thanks!
    1) Remote Addressables / AssetBundles - from what i read, not possible yet. Or?
    2) Remote Images/Audio/binary - from what i read, not possible yet. Or?
    3) remote Scenes, JSON, .. - something tells me, this is the same case as (1) & (2), eg once you are able to remote load a file, it can be anything (all you need is an appropriate parser), so i don't think this is possible. The fact there are scene loader and json parser doesn't mean the assets can be loaded remotely, so i think -- No?
    4) 'StreamingAssets' - is some kind of loading from local/subfolder supported?

I guess the core question is - how do i get a remote asset/bundle into a core tiny build on demand, and unload it when needed. Couldn't find it in docs, when i skimmed through it. Or is this something possibly for the future. One of the main advantages of Project Tiny is that its.. well, tiny. Not so much if everything has to be included within the main. I'm mostly concerned about bandwidth here, not memory.

Thanks a bunch!

2. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Hi
    Tiny currently doesn't support Addressables /AssetBundles
    so you have to include the assets into your project

_watcher_ likes this.
  3. _watcher_

_watcher_

Hey, i appreciate the reply, thank you.

Its a bit of a deal breaker to get a reply to such simple question in 5 days :/

I'll wait once the package leaves preview and more people start using it (forum gets more crowded). The project, if well supported, definitely sounds like a great one! :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  4. tonialatalo

tonialatalo

5. GilCat

GilCat

Is there any roadmap to have this feature implemented?

6. xOrfe

xOrfe

7. GilCat

GilCat

I have created a package that basically extends from the generic asset loader and loads any asset from remote location. It loads its data into a dynamic buffer of bytes that can be then parsed as pleased.
    I will share these package soon so others can use it as pleased.

_watcher_ likes this.
  8. GilCat

GilCat

I've released an Asset Loader Package here

lang_fox likes this.