Search Unity

Loading Objects from a Server not included on the client

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Nexus, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Nexus

Nexus

I have a problem and I don't know if there is any solution at all.

I ask here, in order to find any possible solution.

We have in mind a project where a client will be an aproximately static version (when static i mean that the client is not going to be modified, at least in longs periods of time) while the server will be modified, not in the architecture and functions that connect to the client, but in content (more meshes, textures, etc). Our problem arose because of this, we need to be able to send meshes and textures to the client over a network.

Ou first problem was with the textures, due to the impossibility of compressing textures. If compression is not possible, then we will find a great problem of memory resources due to our not small textures (Photorealism). The latter problem was with meshes. Due to RPC functions are limited in the tpye of variables that can be sent; it showed also impossible to send meshes. So what can I do to be able to send objects to a client that does not have them?

Can someone enlighten me? Or on the other hand we need to rethink the whole application model?

2. TJB

TJB

3. Nexus

Nexus

Yep, I've already seen those, however the textures are not in a compress format when they are loaded with a WWW class.

The meshes solution, I had seen it before, however I had seen it before but without the texture compression I'm still in the same point.