Search Unity

Loading both Unity 4.0 beta and 3.5 pro on a single machine

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by evolvingtech, Aug 22, 2012.

1. evolvingtech

evolvingtech

I am a licensed Unity Pro user. I have been running 3.5. The 4.0 beta recently became available for download. When I installed it, 4.0 completely blew away the 3.5 install. I reverted back to 3.5. Is there any way of having both versions on one machine? (I distinctly recall the FAQ when 4.0 beta was first announced, indicated that both apps could be installed at the same time).

I have no need to run both 4.0 and 3.5 simultaneously and there is no worry about backward compatibility. I just want to learn 4.0 before I transition from 3.5.

Thanks

2. Mikie

Mikie

I just put 4 on the same computer with 3.5 and they work great. When you install 4 put it in a different directory(Unity4).

3. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

That is somewhat wrong.
    The right way to do it is rename "Unity" folder to something else like "Unity3" than install Unity4 to the same folder: "Unity".
    If you install to "Unity4" folder the registry on windows will assume even Unity 3 is installed on "Unity4" folder and that may cause a mess on the registry, leaving junk keys all around.

4. pabu

pabu

I installed 4.0 beta over 3.5 on Mac (unknowingly you might say) and what I ended up with was a royally [not-so-good] installation where a lot of things didn't work. Wiping everything and installing 4.0b7 fresh seemed to fix the problem. I then renamed 4.0b7 before installing 3.5.5 again and both seemingly work.

Cheers,
    pabu

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

6. pabu

pabu

Considering installing 4.0 on top of 3.5.5 results in a borken product (not to mention you get no warning that you production installation will get wiped), perhaps that should be in the download instructions in big burning letters instead of in this forum post?

Apart from the installer being a pile, 4.0 seems to be really cool!

Cheers,
    pabi

7. gfoot

gfoot

Renaming one of the directories after installing is not a good solution. It just causes lots of problems next time you try to upgrade the renamed one.