Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading addressables following a reconnection

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Dogbroth, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Dogbroth

Dogbroth

Hi,

We're using addressables to download remote assets for a mobile title following an initial install containing minimal data. At this time, there is no local cached version of the files requested.

The user may have no active connection when they launch the title, in which case we respond to the "failed" state of the asset-load from the addressable system and prompt the user to connect to the internet and try again.

The issue we're seeing is that there doesn't seem to be any way currently to prompt the addressables system to manually retry the load operation. There are settings for a fixed number of retries in sequence following a request's failure, but this is not the same as requesting a retry in response to a user-event.

Once the task-load operation has failed for the requested asset, the operation sits sat in the failed state forever. Subsequent calls to LoadAssetAsync do not prompt another load attempt, as the addressables system sees the original failed operation for the asset and so early-outs. We can clear the load operation explicitly with the operation handle, but it appears the dependent operation that actually invokes the web-request is cached in its failed state, and we have no access to that to reset it.

Any advice with this matter would be greatly appreciated, as the flow we're using is very common for mobile titles, so I wonder whether I'm just missing something obvious. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

This is a known bug. It's not at the very very top of our list, but it's fairly high up there. I'm hoping to have the fix out within the next month or so, but it's hard to say with all the summer vacations happening.