Search Unity

Loading a user made sceen (database?)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Censureret, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Censureret

Censureret

I wasnt completely sure what to call this thread so I might change it in the future.

I am creating a multiplayer game in which my players will own their own house. In this house they are able to place certain items to decorate it.

Then they should be able to visit each other's houses. Now I haven't done something like this before and I was wondering how I can save and load something like this.

My initial idea was to have a scene that would then load from a database. The database would contain the object, its position, and its rotation but I am not sure that this is the right way to go?

Has someone done something similar and know of a good way of doing this?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

1. Making a builder game is a pretty huge task involving asset management and very tricky UI.

2. Making it reliably function in multiplayer is even more work.

3. Having it interface with some remote server database is even more of a challenge.

Your questions make me wonder if this is the optimal task for you to take on at this stage in your career.

But if you do choose to proceed, I assure you that trying all three above will take a long time.

Instead, try these steps to get #1 above working:

- make a builder game (dozens of tutorials for city builders to learn from)

- make a savegame feature on that game (even more tutorials for this)

- make the game able to reload itself from such a saved game

If you get those things working perfectly, making it multiplayer and using a back-end server may be within your grasp.

Joe-Censored likes this.