Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LoadAssets slow , PreloadDependencies does not seem to do anything.

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by CharBodman, Mar 5, 2019.

1. CharBodman

CharBodman

Hi there, looking for some clarification.

I am new to Unity so bare with me.

We are currently trying to add Addressables to one of our games, and I don't quite understand how Addressables loads bundles.

Currently we have our assets split into their own groups, and we want to preload the assets at boot.

The issue that we are seeing is that Addressables.LoadAssets(Label) is taking about 12 seconds (700 Items) (11MB)(Virtual mode, and on device) on every boot. It doesn't seem to be caching the assets on subsequent boots. Is this something that the Addressables system is suppose to handle automatically? Or do we need to do all of this ourselves?

I would assume by using Addressables.PreloadDependencies(Label) that it would grab the bundle that contains the label, thus subsequent Addressables.LoadAssets would be instant.

As you can see, it looks like a waterfall of downloads, which doesn't seem right when they are all part of the same bundle.

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. CharBodman

CharBodman

Update.
    I believe I have made some wrong assumptions with LoadAssets . I assumed that LoadAssets would make a single request if they all belong to the same asset bundle. It doesn't seem that this is the case? I had since then created a scriptable object containing an array of the grouped assets, and that loads instantly.

Secondly. Does PreloadDependencies download the dependencies of the addressable you are specifying? or does it download the addressable itself? I would assume the latter.