Search Unity

Load level additive - light probe problem

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by uther69, Dec 14, 2015.

1. uther69

uther69

Hi,

I have a scene with lightmaps, and some non-static objects illuminated by light probe group.

When i load a level additively, light probe are turned off :
    All non-static Objects become darker, as if the « use Light Probes » checkbox was unchecked.

The problem happens regardless of the objects in the additive scene, even if it is empty !

It was occurring before Unity 5.3 on IOS (8.x and 9.x).
    I just test on Android, and it’s the same thing...
    Everything's ok in the editor..

Thanks for your help.

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi, is the light probe group present in the first scene you load or only in the additively loaded scene?

How did you bake the scenes? Together or separately?

3. uther69

uther69

Hi,
    The light probe group is in the first scene. The scene is baked with all lightmaps and light probe group.

The additive scene can contain anything : just a canvas, an object (non-static), or even nothing. When it's additively loaded, the light probe of the initial scene is turned off : All non-static object appear black (of course they're only illuminated by light probe)

Initially, I used " load level additive" only to call some GUI menu.

I had the idea to load an empty scene additively, and it does the same bug on light probe !

I tested with a new project, a simple scene with a non-static sphere with light probes, and a static cube.
    Same thing.

I have this problem for some time, but I was not sure to finally use the light probe with the brightness bug.
    Now the light probe are awesome, but i have this additive scene problem !

By the way, i'm using Playmaker, but i don't think it's that..

4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Strange, it should work, which version are you using?

5. uther69

uther69

i just updated with the 5.3 (5.3.0f4) yesterday.
    But i had exactly the same trouble with the previous 5.2.x

I'm not sure witch version 5.2 i was using before upgrading to 5.3, but the problem was here.

Maybe I've just found some way to avoid it : if i load the GUI menu (previously in the additive loaded scene) with the "Resources.load" method, that's ok : Light probe still active.

Probably nothing to do with this, but i have this bug too, mentioned in this post :
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ios-9-lightmaps-not-working-correctly.356353/

6. phasiclabs

phasiclabs

We seem to be experiencing exactly this same problem in Unity 5.2.3p2 - I can't currently upgrade to 5.3 to test there as bugs in 5.3.0 and 5.3.1 are stopping is from upgrading.
    I looks like additively loading our UI scene (which has no light probes in it) on top of a level that does have light probes it in causes the light probes in the first scene to be disabled.
    This doesn't happen in the Editor, but does happen on other targets.

7. phasiclabs

phasiclabs

I've swapped the order in which levels are loaded - that fixed the light probe issue, however the sky and reflection maps in the main scene (now loaded 2nd) were missing.

8. lka69

lka69

Hi, sorry to reup this post but it doesn't seems to work on 5.4 as well.
    I have light probes both in the first scene and in the other levels that are loaded.
    But when i load the other levels the first light probes become black.

Is that a known issue? Is there any fix or something that im missing?

Thanks @KEngelstoft

sanmn19 likes this.
  9. sanmn19

sanmn19

Using 5.5.0b5 and still facing this issue. The only workaround we have currently is to use LightMapping.BakeMultipleScenes and then loading additively which defeats the whole point of using different scenes since all of the scenes have to be used while using that function.

10. Funny-Face

Funny-Face

I have same issue on 5.4.1 and even have submited a bug: 830776.
    I was told it has been fixed in 5.5b3 : "...That bug has been fixed in 5.3 and fix was merged to trunk, now it is public beta 5.5.0b3 (you can download it)."

I haven't tested yet, but it seems it is not fixed.

11. david-ahern

david-ahern

I've had this same issue before now, and there is a thread discussing this somewhere (i cant seem to find it atm). In short, Unity seems to use the light probes from the scene that was loaded most recently. For instance, if you have two rooms, each with light probes that are baked separately, once you additively load the second room, the first rooms probes will be cleared.

To prevent this from happening, bake both/all scenes together using Unity's multi-scene editing functionality. This will cause all of the light probes from all of the scenes included in the bake to be loaded when any of the scenes included in the bake is loaded last. If i haven't explained that well please let me know and i will try to explain in more detail.

'Its not a bug, its a feature', apparently.