Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Load AddressableAssets created with another Unity project

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by feranti, Jul 27, 2019.

1. feranti

feranti

Hello guys,

I'm very interested in your new Addresable Assets workflow.
    I have some questions about it an didn't find clear answers on the documentation. Let me explain :

Until now, we have :
    - Asset Bundles online
    - 4 projects :
    * 1 project AssetBundle Builder in charge of generating the AssetsBundles
    * 3 other independent projects thats downloads these Assets Bundles and use them, no matter how

Is this kind of pattern even possible with AddressableAssets ?
    From what I read in the documentation, it makes me feel that the AddressableAssets catalog is strongly bound to the Player built from the same project as the catalog. Am I right about that ?
    I didn't see anywhere something related to AddressableAssets generated in one project but used in another project. And it is kind of hard to figure out how to test that with the limited documentation provided at the moment.

Thanks in advance

2. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

Yes. I roughly described the process in this post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/shared-addressables-assets.718301/#post-4797509

Not really. It builds a map from keys to assets and create bundled packages (over simplifying here). Other projects can consume the content, they don't need to be related, you just need to know which catalogs to load. Each catalog describes the content on its ResourceLocators. You can Load or Instantiate the Assets using their keys.

They'll surely improve the documentation and samples with time.

Psyco92 likes this.
  3. feranti

feranti

Ok thanks a lot for the short and clear explanation.

danilonishimura likes this.