Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Load 3D models from server in RealTime (Question)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Hukha, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Hukha

Hukha

Hello!
    Like the title say... I need to have a catalog of products, when the user select a product, download the product from a server, instantiate it in AR and destroy it (And delete from the files) when the user stop using it.

The question is:
    What service or technology its recommended for the server?
    And for the client, with AssetBundles?
    What you recommend?

Thanks!

2. Yoreki

Yoreki

Why do you have to send entire 3D models to the user? Cant really imagine a scenario in which this would be the best solution. Do you have extremely limited space for data storage, but a guaranteed, insanely fast internet connection in your situation? Other than that, if it's not about actually purchasing these products once, then the client should be the one holding all 3D models, and the server would maybe validate if the user is allowed to use / unlock the product.
    So knowing about why you are doing it the way you are, would greatly help in offering advice.

Anyways, if you are really going with the whole "send them the Model" idea, then that shouldnt be too hard. In the client, build a catalogue to browse. Initially fill it by asking the server to send a list of the names (and whatever else information should be in the catalogue) of all products. Now the client has all the data it needs for the catalogue and can build it.
    When the user selects an item, the client sends a request to the server to send him the associated 3D model.
    The user now has to live with the (down)loading times, and can use the product afterwards.
    Whenever it's not needed anymore, destroy it.
    The main problem i see here is the download times, but that's kind of the whole idea behind your system, so there is not a lot we can do about them unless we change the idea, based on why you think you need it this way. The server will need a decent upstream for one user, and an insane upstream depending on the amount of parallel users. For the connection, you should be able to just use any standard solution, as long as it gets the data across. The client only needs something the user can scroll through, so at the minimum a scroll view and the received list of items would be enough. And then, of course, whatever system you imagined in AR to make use of the product.

3. Hukha

Hukha

Hello!
    I understand your doubts. This its a on demand project, so.. My client want it for your business.
    I have already informed to my client of these problems.

I'm asking in a more technical way, what solution use in the server (Backend solution) for the requests?

Thanks for the advice!

4. Thibault-Potier

Thibault-Potier

5. Hukha

Hukha

Awesome! I let this a try, thanks!