Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

livestream deprecated ?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Alima-Studios, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    PutridEx, pKallv, alexr1221 and 2 others like this.
  2. ChricKCK

ChricKCK

I agree that deprecating livestream / validator only makes sense.

I understand that livestream isn't good for a game with live analytics... but at least provide a way for developers to confirm that their analytics event implementation works properly and is firing off the right parameters through a validator mode that only applies in the editor or in development mode.

Alima-Studios likes this.
  3. FamilyGamesTime

FamilyGamesTime

Is there any notice about this anywhere? I quite enjoyed seeing the livestream of users downloading my game... and I agree it's a way to immediately check everything is working correctly after an update.

4. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

We did post an announcement in the forums yesterday, but I do apologize that more notice was not given for this.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/deprecation-of-validator-and-livestream-on-january-16th.810150/

Regarding the Validator, you can continue to get confirmation that the analytics calls were successful using the AnalyticsResult that is returned from the call:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Analytics.AnalyticsResult.html

There is an example in the documentation:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsDashboardEventManager.html

Unfortunately, we don't quite have a replacement for the Livestream feature. We are working to improve the processing times for our dashboard, but they will likely never have the same immediate feedback that Livestream offered.

5. magnusfox

magnusfox

May I ask why you decided to remove the Livestream without having a replacement in store? It was quite a useful resource for following the performance of your game in real-time, without the hassle of having to build such a system yourself. I ask you kindly to reconsider removing it!

devotid and Alima-Studios like this.
  6. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

really enjoy this feature
    +1

livestream makes my life had sense

7. Wolar

Wolar

To be honest you could announce it earlier, we used the livestream as the only realtime analytics for download count, others we use are not realtime and currently we are running blind without any upfront notice...

devotid and Alima-Studios like this.
  8. mikekarma

mikekarma

We used this feature every day. Our app is also advertised using some traditional channels (non-digital methods). Livestream helped us to see the spikes in various regions. Please can we have this back?

9. servinova

servinova

Livestream is the only reason we pay for the Unity license. Gentlemen of Unity, you go from bad to worse. It is not just for the problems of incompatibilities between versions and a lot of other bugs that have existed for years, but you also eliminate services such as livestream almost without warning. Unity is no longer what it was and unfortunately it forces users like me (and my team) that we have been developing with unity for years to start new projects with Unreal. I will unsubscribe immediately.

Alima-Studios and umwrya like this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Before rushing to leave en-masse, lets look at what Unity recommends to replace the functionality. Can we build it ourselves? Often Unity will remove something but only if you can achieve it another way.

Look forward to advice. Note: I don't use this functionality, I'm just seeing if there is a replacement technique people can use, or be trained or advised how to reproduce it.

This is the common sense thing to do before being angry :)

11. RoryBuckley

RoryBuckley

I personally feel that removing the live stream is a step backwards.. I found it very useful. Why more notice wasn't given that this feature was going to be removed is beyond my confusion... Then at least we could have updated our products with alternative solutions.

12. lukaking032

lukaking032

I also agree. When I bought Unity Plus one of the features that were advertized for me was the Live Stream feature and now it got removed without any replacement. At least consider giving us raw data download because right now Unity Plus owners don't have any advantage over free license and I personally now regret paying for it

13. devotid

devotid

I am also very disappointed about this decision. A 24 hour notice? Hahaha. Really? Who is making these decisions? A gold fish?

Unity analytics has been a terrible experience for me EXCEPT the livestream of new users/installs. So its only normal for Unity to make my life even harder and remove it. Face palm.

Ive been here over 10 years now and year after year Unity continues to let me down.

Sure, I guess Ill just redo that whole thing too because Unity doesnt want to anymore. Thanks!

galloper and Alima-Studios like this.
  14. devotid

devotid

Hippo do you even use Unity at all in a production environment? Or do you just make posts on here? I mean you have 26,000 posts and I have been watching you write smart ass answers for over 10 years now. None of your answers ever pertain to a fully released working product of any kind. Its always just theories, emotions and ideas. I mean some of the time you have decent things to say.... and then most other times you are just being Mr. Obvious and a "pot-stirrer" because you want too.

I await your amazing witty response. :)

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah I've released a few titles, mostly on mobile. Sorry you're having trouble though taking it out on me won't solve that for you. Me helping draw attention to this issue from Unity is, and you're welcome.

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

@devotid
    I am not sure, why the attack on the person, for no particular reason.
    There is valid point in following statement, regardless who wrote that:
    People often don't show their products publicly, specially on dev site, other than on the actual store after release. Maybe they don't want competition (to know).

17. devotid

devotid

Oh there is a very particular reason. haha. Many years of reading his thousands and thousands of posts. Again I will give credit to him for doing some decent things in here but him being an ass has far outweighed the good.

I have a long history of watching Hippocoder just post for the sake of being a dick. More often than not he is not nice (and more than I can even believe he is flat out mean to new users.) and doesnt add to the conversation at all. I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. But he knows exactly why I singled him out. ;)

The reason I posted what I did is because there are many of us that use Unity to feed our familys and rely on it to be consistent and somewhat predictable. Giving 24 hour notice and then deleting a feature that we payed extra for is not that.

So Hippo chimes in and says "just do it yourself" when he is not even doing anything himself anyway. Kinda funny actually.

I also asked him because I knew someone with 26,000 posts cant have enough time to work on anything full time. Ive personally just lost way too much time already just writing these 3.

Kevin

18. Antypodish

Antypodish

19. galloper

galloper

Well honestly, I was upset with Livestream deprecation (that's how I found this thread).
    Thought it has to be a mistake and it'll come back, but if it is final and we will never see it again, oh well...

It's really not too hard to have a live feedback system actually, at least as a mobile developer. I use tools like Playfab and my own servers for that (and other things obviously), but I do wonder what logic brought this Unity feature down. I mean, you still gather data, you still offer other analytics, I'm pretty suuuure, that you're getting all the data in real time just as you always did, so why castra.. I mean, remove, such a small feature? That was like what, a bunch of PHP scripts? You could at least leave the visual Livestream alive in some form with sessions numbers slowly floating to the left.. oh come on.. such a downer :(

20. PandaArcade

PandaArcade

Very sad to see Livestream removed. I had been using it very frequently and for it to be removed with no warning is very frustrating. I’d understand if Unity was free :(

The deprecation notice should be on the feature being removed. Are we expected to constantly dig through every part of the forum incase Unity decides to kill a feature?

We’re launching our game globally today and if we had some warning we may have implemented another live reporting system :(

21. psTom

psTom

I have to agree with others. It was a useful functionality. We also have partners that have Pro version only to see the live data.

22. Sailendu

Sailendu

I think Livestream was the best feature of Unity Analytics. It was very useful, it is so sad to see such an awesome feature just gone like that. But I guess it is what it is. RIP Livestream.

23. Braneloc

Braneloc

Ok, looks like I got here after the party, just saw a video on analytics and thought - hey, that Livestream looks cool, how do I enable it ? After trying to find out how, I ended up here and a bit disappointed. What is the current recommended method ?

24. alexr1221

alexr1221

There is now no more reason for me to pay for a Unity Plan. gg!

25. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

my life is miserable without Livestream

jonkeee likes this.
  26. jonkeee

jonkeee

a none awesome move unity.

27. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

28. bottledgalaxy

bottledgalaxy

29. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

30. stroibot

stroibot

So what's the analogue for this feature?

31. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Livestream was UI only, exported no data and served no useful business purpose except for a demo or a kiosk display. There is no analog. What business problem are you trying to solve? We might be able to make a suggestion.

32. stroibot

stroibot

I just thought that it was useful to see data in real time and not the day after

33. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Can you elaborate how it was useful, what business decisions did it help with? Otherwise, it only had the "cool" factor which I agree with. But it was difficult to support, and none of our major studios were using it.

Alima-Studios and stroibot like this.
  34. stroibot

stroibot

Ok, got it

35. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

it had a dopamine segregating function that increases the workflow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.