Search Unity

Live Fire (real bullets) + FPS Hybrid done with Unity!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Awesumo, May 7, 2012.

1. Awesumo

Awesumo

Hello Unity Community,

I've been working on a side project that involves coupling real *physical* projectiles with FPS gameplay in unity. I have a working prototype, but eventually I'd like to open source the hit detection code (C#, webcam) and the code that maps a physical hit to a ray cast so all of you can start shooting at your games! Of course I need to do a lot of work to get it ready for public consumption.

Check out the website here:

www.openfiresystems.com

And we have a kickstarter project up at: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2098393998/zombie-apocalypse-simulator-codename-zom-bb

The demo videos are kind of hacked together but they show the basic concept. I'll be doing more demo videos in the coming weeks. I'm thinking about a "fruit ninja" type game and maybe some moving exploding targets. The more interactivity the more fun it is to shoot at. The zombies are fun to shoot at, but I need to make it so you can shoot at a whole herd instead of one at a time. Anyway, lots of fun!

All comments, feedback, and especially kickstarter backings are most welcome and appreciated.

-Dan

2. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hey, this rocks! :D

3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Looks really innovative! I can see this being something perfect for a kinect sensor or something like that, and some airsoft guns, which wouldn't rip through the target surface, allowing players to plays lots, without having the screen fall apart....our maybe that rip is part of how it detects? Perhaps using like a pressure sensitive "sheet" to detect the his instead of a web cam?

But cool stuff man. hope to see it get open sourced!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. Awesumo

Awesumo

We've just been using cheap white sticky labels to "reset" the cardboard projection screen. The software remembers hits so you can blast the screen full of hundreds of holes before it starts to interfere with gameplay. We are also working on a paper roller system that will let you quickly reset the screen. This type of thing is more for range applications with real firearms. Shooting zombies with BBs is just one application of the technology.

I would like to point out that this is all done with a cheap projector (3D glasses adds a whole new aspect to this), a webcam, and some pretty simple software. This is really something that is going to be completely hackable.