Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Little Heroes MEGA Pack. Customize your character now!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Matthew-Mok, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Meshtint

Meshtint

Thanks for the suggestions. We will definitely consider them!

2. spelljv

spelljv

Why version 2.1? Last version was 1.9

3. Meshtint

Meshtint

Hi! Sorry for the confusion. We have skipped version 2.0 intentionally.

See below for release notes for Version 2.1

1. Added Unity 3rd person controller demo scene.
    2. Added 24 Two Handed Axes
    3. Added 8 new animations ( Roll Forward With/Without Root Motion, Push With/Without Root Motion, Pull With/Without Root Motion, Right Throw, Look Up Wave)
    4. Convert some of the textures from TGA to PNG to reduce file size
    For the next update, we will be focus on costume and customization varieties.Let us know if you have any suggestions!

4. Meshtint

Meshtint

Just in case you guys/gals are interested in a new series pack (coming soon!) that's similar to Little Heroes Mega Pack, we will post some info here!

We are going to release Character Creator Series soon in UAS. Probably one of the best pack in the market that allows you to customize stylized characters! SimP Series characters are simple and customizable. Just drag and attach the different hairs, costumes, accessories and weapons to create a unique looking character. Character's costume are separated into different parts. you can change the costume color easily by adjusting the tint color in the material. For more info, you can see them on our site here. It's already available on www.MeshTint.com.

wahyuway likes this.
  5. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Hi,

Just a couple of questions on how to best use these assets in a dev workflow:

When I try to build a simple scene using one of the example prefab characters, Unity attempts to import all of the texture .png and .tga files, even when the example character only uses a couple. Do I need to do something so that Unity only attempts to import the scene's actual texture dependencies, instead of all textures?

For people using Git, are you just .gitignore'ing the giant 6.2gb texture folder, and keeping the rest of the asset pack in version control? I'm considering doing that, but I'm worried that future asset package upgrades might ruin any hash-based ids used when Unity links the textures to materials. I'd be extremely grateful to hear how other people are successfully using this asset pack with Git, given the large file footprint!

6. Meshtint

Meshtint

Hi!

Strange, Unity strips most unused Assets during the build. Maybe you can read more on this doc ? Hope it helps.

Regarding file size. We have reduced the textures to less than 6gb in the latest version. We will continue to reduce the file size in the upcoming updates :)

We are not familiar with GIT. I hope others can share what they know!

7. Meshtint

Meshtint

CUSTOMIZABLE BUILDINGS PACK UPDATED WITH FREE CONTENT!

New update! We have added new free content to Customizable Fantasy Buildings Pack! You can now create more interesting environment with these new buildings. If you have any suggestions for the next update, let us know!

See release notes below:

- Added 8 pools
    - Added 11 towers
    - Added 16 treehouses
    - Added 10 turrets
    - Added 2 shrines

8. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Oh, so it appears that there is just an initial processing step where Unity steps through all textures (which takes a while on my slow laptop), but subsequent builds do not touch them again. And the build output ofc only includes the necessary assets. So this was just confusion due to my unfamiliarity with Unity!

Great assets! I just purchased the customizable buildings pack as well :)

9. Meshtint

Meshtint

Thank you for your purchase! :))

10. DmytroKu

DmytroKu

Hey, MeshTint! I recently purchased Orc Mega Pack and found it very good, thank you. I have one little problem - all two hand sword animations are not working. There are import errors for all TH animations:
    Using Unity 5.5.1f1.

Is there any possible workaround?

11. Meshtint

Meshtint

Hi there!

Thank you for your purchase:) I have tried importing the package to 5.5.1f1 and indeed the TH animations don't work anymore. We have fixed the problem and uploaded a version for unity version 5.5.1f1. It should be available for download soon. Alternatively, just remove the jaw bone from Orc Normal 's avatar. Sorry for any inconveniences caused!

12. DmytroKu

DmytroKu

Thank you very much!

13. DaGround

DaGround

Hey guys, how are these characters working on mobile devices? I cant find anything like "optimzed for mobiles", just the lowpoly hint

14. maartene

maartene

I experienced unexpected behavior when keeping files out of version control. For instance, once an update becomes available and you clone to a system that can only download the updated version of asset pack. I actually had this issue happen to me, when the download overrode my changes to animation controllers (this is also my fault: I should have made a copy to modify). Anyway, I don't ignore the textures folder (or third party assets in general) based on that lesson.

I have git Large File Support (@ bitbucket.org) active which solves some of the disadvantages of using GIT together with these very large binary files. See this video for a great explanation of LFS and how to work with git in Unity.

Please note: I don't know if you use Sourcetree as a git client on Windows or Mac, but LFS support in Sourcetree in Windows is shaky. I actually had to clone my repository using the command line version in Windows before it became useful. After that I could continue using source tree normally. Sourcetree on Mac seems fine though.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  15. R1PFake

R1PFake

Will there be other "Battleground" packs? If yes then which styles do you have planned? Do you have plans to bundle them together as a pack with a little price discount?

16. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I just use the command line on a mac, and the git lfs instructions seem pretty staight forward. Thanks for the heads up :)

17. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

@MeshTint

Hi, any chance of a fantasy/steampunk style gun being added as one of the weapons? Kind of like the World of Warcraft dwarf guns. I'm working on a VR game, and having a gun model would be very useful!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  18. RedToasty

RedToasty

Hi, I bought these yesterday, they're all working great. One thing I was wondering, if you convert all the textures to PNG the entire folder size drops to 200mb, from 5.8gb. Would it be worth moving across? I've done this locally but then obviously I need to go through every material and hook up the texture, I'm going to try and script this when I get home tonight. I just worry that every update will then break this again.

As mentioned above, I use a git server and don't really want to push 6gb into my repo, 200mb is fine though.

19. Meshtint

Meshtint

Hi! Thank you for your purchase!

We are aware of the size issue. The reason we chose TGA at first is because of its quality. But later the pack got really HUGE and the size become an issue. We are tackling it :) So we will be converting the TGA files to PNG at different batches. You should see the size getting smaller on each update in the near future as we add more content. Sorry that we will need some time to do this because we have to reassign each texture manually which is very time consuming.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused!

20. Meshtint

Meshtint

Yes we have plans to add more battleground but we have not confirmed on the theme. What would be useful for you all? Desert? Graveyard? Tell us your requests!

We might bundle them up as a pack but I foresee that it won't happen so soon because we only have 2 packs so far :)

21. Meshtint

Meshtint

So far according to the feedback we have received, there seem to be no problem on mobile devices. But then again, there also other factors that will affect the performance like how many characters on the screen, the environment, lighting etc. Maybe you can ask us questions so we can address your concerns :)

22. RedToasty

RedToasty

It's no problem, PNG is a lossless format, so it'll be exactly the same, just 30 times smaller. They're flat colour so compress up really well. I can write a script in Unity which converts everything to PNG and fixes up all the materials if you want? I was going to do it for my own use anyway. Definitely don't go through and do them by hand, there's 2000, it'll take forever! :)

I was also going to make a script which allows a user to switch to using mobile versions of shaders, specifically "mobile/diffuse" instead of "standard" on characters and accessories, leaving the additive particle ones as they were. To the query above, they're running very well on mobile here!

23. Meshtint

Meshtint

You can do that with script?! Argh, how i wish we could write script too! It's like magic. Haha. It will be great if you can share with us :D Really appreciate it!

24. RedToasty

RedToasty

Sure, I'm at work at the moment. I'll have a look when I get home.

25. RedToasty

RedToasty

Hi, apologies for the delay!

It's just 1 .cs file, which has been custom written and tested with these assets. Feel free to have a look through the code if you're worried what it's doing. Install the package and it'll add 2 new options to your menu:

Screenshot 2017-04-06 21.16.17.png

The first option, "Convert TGA Textures" will spin through all the TGA files in the texture folder and convert them to PNG. If you'd prefer to do this using your own tools, feel free, replace the existing TGAs with PNGs of the same name. Ensure the old TGAs are removed from the folder. While this is running you should be able to see the folder shrinking in a file manager.

Unity will update and all the existing materials will lose their textures. Run the second script "Fix Missing Textures" and it'll correct them all. It does this by finding a PNG with a matching name and hooking it up. Only the main texture is modified, the material will otherwise remain the same. This process will take a few minutes and will lock Unity up while it's running.

Screenshot 2017-04-06 21.38.51.png

You should now have a textures folder around 1% of it's original size, with no loss in quality. Delete the script from your project and you're all done.

If you find this useful and want to use it with your other assets, just open the script and modify the two paths at the top (or send me the assets and I'll make custom scripts in exchange ;)). If anyone has any trouble let me know, I've tested this with the latest Unity 5.6.0f3, it's only been run a couple of times, as it takes ages importing all the TGA assets to start again.

I work in Windows, MacOS might need to tweak the lazy forward slashes I've done for the paths to be found, I'm not sure. If anyone on a Mac has issues, I can have a look into this tomorrow.

Only the folders within the "Little Heroes Mega Pack" folder are modified, so this is safe running on existing projects.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    hungrybelome and tonymtz like this.
  26. Meshtint

Meshtint

Thanks for the time and effort you have put in. Really appreciate it! We will take a look at it asap :D

27. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Hi, I'm on MacOS and I wanted to let you know that your scripts worked great! No pathing changes needed. You are truly a hero :D.

Btw, any chance of you also sharing your scripts for changing non-particle materials to mobile/diffuse? I changed all the materials to mobile/diffuse and then hunted around for particle materials to revert, but having a similar automated script would help me/others working on a mobile game a ton.

Thanks a lot man!

28. Meshtint

Meshtint

Hi RedToasty!

We are getting errors in Unity 5.1.2 but 5.5.1 is fine. Preferably to stick to an earlier version in case some users are still using them.

These are the errors. Any idea what are they?
    1. Assets/HelperScript/MeshTintHelper.cs(16,46): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetFiles' takes `3' arguments
    2. Assets/HelperScript/MeshTintHelper.cs(26,47): error CS0103: The name `TextureImporterCompression' does not exist in the current context
    3. Assets/HelperScript/MeshTintHelper.cs(26,26): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' does not contain a definition for `textureCompression' and no extension method `textureCompression' of type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    4. Assets/HelperScript/MeshTintHelper.cs(32,22): error CS0117: `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `WriteAllBytes'
    5. Assets/HelperScript/MeshTintHelper.cs(50,46): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetFiles' takes `3' arguments
    6. Assets/HelperScript/MeshTintHelper.cs(51,47): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetFiles' takes `3' arguments

29. Meshtint

Meshtint

Medieval Interiors Mega Pack - Village house interior work in progress! Next, adding castle interiors and dungeons :) Suggestions are welcome!

maartene likes this.
  30. maartene

maartene

Very cool! Any idea when you will release this pack?

Kind regards,
    Maarten

31. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Insta-buy for me if you add a blacksmithing area (e.g. anvil/forge) :)

32. Meshtint

Meshtint

That's a great idea! Will add them :)

33. Meshtint

Meshtint

There is no concrete date yet but we will try our best to complete it asap. Probably it will be ready in a month time!

34. RedToasty

RedToasty

Glad to help :) I ended up doing it by hand, you can batch select and switch them. A lot of the accessories use materials without textures and there wasn't an existing mobile flat color shader. Just batch selecting everything starting with "Male" and "Female" will get the bulk of them. I ended up shrinking a lot of the textures down as well, if you downsize them avoid using any filtering as it keeps the hard edges, my textures folder is 24mb at the moment. I was considering using a shader constant and the alpha channel to mask out skin color areas too, so I could drop down to 1 texture per character type.

I'm working on a mobile game so I really can't see anyone noticing :)

Apologies, I've not tested with older versions. Given it's failing in System.IO things it sounds like Unity has upgraded Mono versions. Is there no way of updating the assets in 5.5.1 and then importing them into 5.1.2?

I'm using them in a home made mobile voxel engine at the moment.

20170405213741 - S.png

Sadly I've blown more time on making a level editor than a game, so there's not much to look at.

35. Meshtint

Meshtint

Thanks! We will see what we can do :)

Interesting! Wonder hows the game play like. Looking forward to see more!

36. Meshtint

Meshtint

Great news! Thanks to RedToasty 's help, we have reduced the file size of Little Heroes Mega Pack significantly at a shorter time. The package is available for download at UAS soon. But do take note that the reduced file size package is only available to user who are using Unity version 5.5.1 or higher.

37. RedToasty

RedToasty

If there are any users who are still using 5.1.2 let me know, I can improve the scripts. They were primarily written for my own usage, so aren't very polished. I could also make them more generic so they work with your other assets if you wanted. Right click on a material folder and get it to update all the used textures and materials maybe.

After using the script I'd remove it from Unity, as it'll try and compile the code in whatever project you're doing.

Glad it's helped out anyway! If you find yourself having to do any sort of repetitive action thousands of times within Unity and want a cheat, just ask :)

38. Meshtint

Meshtint

Hi! Currently we have not received any feedback from users using < v5.5.1. So we do not know yet. You script has already help us a lot. Really thankful for it! If you ever come up with a better script that can be used in 5.1.2 would be awesome! But please don't feel obligated :) Any extra help is a bonus to us.

39. Meshtint

Meshtint

We have added what you suggested :) Thanks for giving us ideas. It really helps.

40. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Wow, that looks amazing! Perfect :D

If you are still looking for suggestions, I think the classic long/wrap around shop keeper desk would fit nicely with your existing set:

41. Meshtint

Meshtint

How about this ? :)

hungrybelome likes this.
  42. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Simply amazing :D

Thank you so much for hearing my suggestions! I'll look forward to this package being listed on the asset store.

Meshtint likes this.
  43. Meshtint

Meshtint

Weekend is coming soon. Beer time! Medieval Interiors Pack - Tavern scene work in progress.

maartene and hungrybelome like this.
  44. maartene

maartene

I second that! :)

45. spelljv

spelljv

Hi guys... Its not a real problem but next update please update the link to this discussion on Little Heroes Mega Pack description. The link is going to a random post on the first page.

46. Meshtint

Meshtint

We have already added!

47. Meshtint

Meshtint

Hi! Are you referring to the link in the description on Little Heroes Mega Pack's UAS product page?

48. Meshtint

Meshtint

Update: Medieval Interiors Pack - Tavern scene done! What's next?!

maartene likes this.
  49. maartene

maartene

A church / temple!

50. spelljv

spelljv

Exactly! =)

Meshtint likes this.