Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Little doubts about new files, private, and ignored

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by pistoleta, Nov 26, 2021.

1. pistoleta

pistoleta

Hi, we are starting with this and I still don't get why sometimes I've been working and I've created let's say a few new Scriptable Objects and a few scripts and when I push.... maybe one of them is not in source control... but the others seems to be... why is this happening? is it because maybe I created it differently?

Then when I notice my coworker is missing that file I open plastic localize it and add it to source control. I guess this is the way to fix it?

Also... isn't there another way to check out new files that have not been marked as source control so I can take a look once in a while if everything is being pushed ?

Thanks in advance.

2. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Added files are always private until they are checked into your repository. Perhaps, these files are set to be ignored, which is why you miss them when checking in?

I think I may not be understanding your problem correctly, if you are still having this issue, would you be able to share a couple of screenshots to clarify the situation?

3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Maybe you need to do Save Project in Unity before switching to Plastic and also you might need to refresh the pending changes view in Plastic to see all changes. Unity sometimes doesn't write all changes directly to disk, so it's a good habit to always save the project before doing a checkin. In Plastic there are options to refresh the pending view automatically, but to be save you can manually refresh and see the list of all changes and new files.

If you are missing a specific file in pending changes and know that it should be there, you have likely ignored it. You can either use the workspace explorer to find the file or in pending changes use the options to "show ignored files".

4. pistoleta

pistoleta

I'm not sure what's the case but I think is when I create this new files out of Unity, then I have to select Add to source control and then it works, thanks!
    Just have to be careful whenever I create something new to do it correctly.

Also, I've noticed some plastic somethings doesn't allow me to ignore files so I set them to hidden but still tries to upload changes... I then tried with hidden and cloack and seems to work but how can I simply set them to ignore? putting them in the ignore list doesn't seem to work.

Thanks a lot!