Search Unity

Littera - online bitmap font generator

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Kvazar, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Kvazar

Kvazar

Good news everyone!

There is a small online bitmap font generator tool written in AS3. Fonts can be used with EZGUI or NGUI. Hope it would be useful for windows users, who can not try such great tools like bmGlyph and Glyph Designer.

It's still in beta, so if you find any bugs or have ideas/feature requests, feel free to leave comments in this topic or write an email (you can find the address in the program's top right corner).

Thanks.

http://kvazars.com/littera/

Zihaben and Bplus like this.
  2. Kvazar

Kvazar

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

This is awesome. Thanks for the tip.

4. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

Awesome indeed. This is a very cool font generator! Way better than what I had been using.

Having said that, I tried using it to generate bitmapped fonts for use with Daikon Forge GUI, and encountered an inconsistency that caused my parser to blow up.

The padding and spacing values in the text format header have extraneous spaces in them:

info face=Commando size=72 bold=0 italic=0 charset= unicode= stretchH=100 smooth=1 aa=1 padding=2, 2, 2, 2 spacing=0, 0 outline=0​

If I hand-edit the file, I can import it just fine and everything seems to work well:

I may just change DFGUI's parser to handle the extra spaces, but I thought I'd bring it up since other tools don't have those spaces and it's inconsistent.

5. Kvazar

Kvazar

Thank you! I hope I have fixed this issue and it should work fine now. Could you please check and confirm it?

6. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

It doesn't appear to be changed. Here's a quick video I made to show what I mean:

I've got to say, I'm pretty excited about this tool. I'm on Windows so I've been using BMFont and Hiero, both of which are full of bugs, quirks, and inconsistencies. I used them because they were available, not because they were great. Littera looks like it has the potential to be pretty great.

7. Kvazar

Kvazar

Seems like you're still using the old version. Try to clear your browser's cache :)

8. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

That does appear to be the case, yes. Seems like it's working quite well now. :D

9. naveen_pambi

naveen_pambi

its really helpful tool
    future support is appreciable

10. jRocket

jRocket

Nice tool. Thanks for this!

11. Dosetsu

Dosetsu

Amazing! Finally, a tool for the rest of us :)

12. Ferb

Ferb

I'd just like to note a tip for anyone who doesn't have any of the third-party tools that accept a fnt file, and so have to create a Custom Font asset manually. If you have output a txt file from Littera looking like this:

char id=71 x=1 y=143 width=58 height=69 xoffset=0 yoffset=1 xadvance=58 page=0

It looks pretty daunting to come up with the .fontsettings file because you seemingly have to manually convert those x, y, width and height values to u,v coordinates between 0 & 1 for each character. However, if you just change the tiling of your material, you can avoid that. If your texture is 256x512 for example, then put in the font texture material tiling values of 1/256 & -1/512 (0.00390625 & -0.001953125), and then you can just use the whole numbers from the text file in the Custom Font asset. It's still a bit of tedious typing, but it saves a lot of calculating.

13. cjf-inc

cjf-inc

14. darkhog

darkhog

@cjf.inc That price is a joke, right?

LouisHong likes this.
  15. darkhog

darkhog