Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Lit Smoke And Fire 2 particle package

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jack-riddell, Mar 27, 2017.

1. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

Hi I have been developing a new package will be called Lit Smoke And Fire 2 (a most creative name) as a followup to my previous package Lit Smoke And Fire (Available here https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/68445).

Lit Smoke And Fire 2 is in the late stages of beta testing and will be released soon barring unforeseen circumstances.
    Lit Smoke And Fire 2 is both an art and code package and contains a wide selection of high resolution flame and smoke textures a shader that push the limits of what is possible on mobile and a suite of tools to manage particle effects, create textures and simplify the creation of custom editors.

The stock particle shaders that come with unity do not have good light support which can lead to situations where the particle effects are clearly lighted differently than the rest of the scene.

Lit Smoke And Fire 2 attempts to solve this issue by vastly improving the light support for particles while still being compatible with low end mobile and webGL platforms still limited to shader model 2.0.

Lit Smoke And Fire 2 will come with
    • Supports up to 8 light sources and can calculate lighting from Point lights, Spotlights and Directional lights

• Supports light probe and both baked and dynamic global illumination lighting

• HDR support

• Adjustable per pixel normal mapped lighting

• Light forward scatter simulation (light halos)

• Inter frame bending for smoother sprite sheet rendering

• High performance adjustable per vertex lighting

• Custom particle alpha erode calculation

• Smart material editor

• Particle self lighting

• soft particle calculation

• Particle distance fade

• Variable runtime quality and performance options

• Source Textures for easy tweaking and retouching

• Blender files for creating particle sprite sheets

• Texture normal mapping tools

• Lit Smoke and Fire 2 also comes with step by step instructions on how to make your own particle effects
    Just about to do the final round of beta testing if anyone wants early access to the final product.

some wip gifs
    TriAxisFire10DemoScene3.gif

TriAxisFire4HDR.gif

TriAxisFire8DemoScene2.gif

TriAxisFire6SmallFlame.gif

TriAxisFire7DemoScene1.gif

webGL demo
    https://riddellriddell.itch.io/lit-smoke-and-fire-2

Hikiko66 likes this.
  2. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Looks really good! Btw some advice on your asset page for lit smoke and fire 1, there is a two star review, you should reply to it, even though it might be solved, I don't know, but if I see an answer from the developer, that puts me at ease as a buyer that there are no issues with the package :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

I had not noticed that review thanks for bringing that to my attention. Unity does not do a good job notifying asset developers of new reviews on their products. For future reference to all who view this thread the best way to get help from an asset developer is through email or forum post not through asset store reviews. If you email me I usually respond within 48 hours provided I am in contact with civilization. I often get problems with that specific package because it started out as an OpenGL only package due to unity restrictions I had no control over. A lot of people bought the package without reading the details about the restrictions and had problems. I fixed the OpenGL only issue when unity 5.5 came out but a lot of people did not update or used the legacy shaders and ran into problems similar to what the 2 star reviewer was complaining about.

Both on my assets and other peoples assets the low star ratings often follow a similar pattern where a user has not read the user docs, run in to trouble and posted a bad review looking for help. I tried to stop this by adding a button in the material editor for Lit smoke and fire 1 and 2 that gives you instructions on how to contact me and links to the user docs but people still don't read the docs or follow the instructions.

pic of the help popup in Lit smoke and fire 1
    Review request.png

John-G likes this.
  4. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I have that issue too, but that popup window is actually a really good idea!!

jack-riddell likes this.
  5. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

Lit smoke and fire 2 is finally released!
    no longer will you have to work around sub par smoke and fire. With Lit Smoke and Fire 2 you get all the amazing lighting quality of the original Lit Smoke and Fire but at a fraction of the performance cost.
    you can pick it up here https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79694.
    If you can spare a few minutes to rate and review it that would be greatly appreciated.

I hope working with this package is as rewarding as making it and I look forward to reading your feedback.

6. John-G

John-G

Nice, any chance of an upgrade option. ;)

7. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Why will Lit Smoke and Fie 1 stay on the asset store if I may ask?

8. siliwangi

siliwangi

9. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

siliwangi likes this.
  10. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

An upgrade option will be added along with a couple of small fixes to lit smoke and fire 1.
    I am also thinking of adding an upgrade option for Advanced Normal Mapped Particles as well.

I am keeping it on the asset store for 2 reasons. There are still a lot of people using Lit Smoke and fire 1 and I want to keep supporting it and updating it and Lit Smoke and Fire 1 has a high placement on the asset store and for selfish reasons I want to keep it around so I can use its prominence to promote Lit Smoke and Fire 2.

John-G and alexanderameye like this.
  11. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

siliwangi likes this.
  12. CodeBison

CodeBison

I'm looking at this and ANMP. It looks like I'd be best served with LSAF, but it's not 100% clear what advantage if any ANMP might provide. Would you be able to give me an idea why I'd want one over the other?

Thanks!

13. John-G

John-G

Any chance of adding the upgrade option ;)

14. tomy93

tomy93

It is VR Ready? Waiting for that answer to buy the asset ;)

15. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Does this shader work with Unity 2019 anyone know?

16. yoMatriax

yoMatriax

Works with unity 2020?