Search Unity

Lit Quad Output gone?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Erlendftw, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Erlendftw

Erlendftw

Hi,

I am following the tutorial of Brackeys for fire and smoke

When setting up the Visual Effect Graph, he utilises an output called Lit Quad Output, which does not seem to be available in Unity 2019.3.8f1 anymore?

I am using the Output Particle Quad as a substitute for the Lit Quad Output, however, some of the parameters and options in the Lit Quad Output are missing from the Output Particle Quad, such as lightning, material type etc.

I am attaching a image from the video tutorial which displays some of the properties of the Lit Quad Output:

Does anyone know where I can find this / what system to use now?

2. customphase

customphase

Output Particle Lit Quad is what you need

3. Erlendftw

Erlendftw

Its not available as an alternative for me, see screenshot attached

4. customphase

customphase

Strange. Make sure youre on the latest HDRP version

upload_2020-4-11_18-11-25.png

Erlendftw likes this.
  5. Olmi

Olmi

Experimental blocks in Preferences/Visual Effects shouldn't affect that, but if you don't have it activated, try it too.

Erlendftw likes this.
  6. Erlendftw

Erlendftw

Thanks! Embarassing to say, but I didn't have HDRP enabled... Totally fixed it!

7. qsleonard

qsleonard

Does URP supports Lit Quad Output node? Is there any way to enable it in URP?

8. kkrg001

kkrg001

I am very feeling stressed by this too.
    Why can't I use Lit Quad with URP?

I think the name universal is really bad.
    If you don't implement the essential drawing features,
    You should change to "forMobile" instead of "universal".

9. EddieFromIndia

EddieFromIndia

Use the Output Particle Mesh instead. That is the Lit Quad Output equivalent for URP.

Attached Files:

10. bfoddy

bfoddy

Output Particle Mesh doesn't shade the mesh at all

kkrg001 likes this.
  11. kkrg001

kkrg001

Yes, lights do not apply.
    The particles disappear when the shader graph is set to Lit.

12. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi, URP integration is still being worked on, you can view it on the public roadmap here.
    The plan is absolutely for the VFX Graph to support lit outputs in URP, and it's next up on the tasks to be worked on.

TomokinRyou likes this.
  13. o-san

o-san

Is there any chance this is going to be back ported to 2019.4 LTS?

14. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Apologies for the delayed reply, I was on vacation.
    Unlikely, as backports in general focus on fixes. Backporting features, especially to LTS, is quite risky and can cause instabilities.

15. rosssssss

rosssssss

Hello I'm on 2020.1.13, using URP and can't see any of the 'Lit' options in the Output Nodes... is that as expected? still no lit meshes on URP for Visual Effects? Thanks

16. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @rosssssss ,
    Yes, this is expected; Lit output for URP are going to be worked on during the 2021 cycle next year.

17. mgurkanozel

mgurkanozel

If it is not working consistently, why did you open it for use? how ridiculous. Shall we create new projects all the time? When the files are also moved, many problems, shaders and materials constantly create problems.

18. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @mgurkanozel,
    The VFX Graph's development initially targeted HDRP. We made it available in preview for URP to allow users to try it out and gather feedback. You can check out the support matrix here.

As mentioned, Lit particle support for URP is planned for 2021.2, you can check out the task on the public roadmap.

iani_ancilla, J1wan and stefan3398 like this.
  19. Haxel0rd

Haxel0rd

Hi, just dropping a note here to let you guys know this is still wanted :)

20. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

It will be available in 2021.2; we even added a small visual to the public roadmap card for it to show it works (gif, or it didn't happen! :))

iani_ancilla likes this.
  21. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

Hey, very happy to see lit outputs in URP 12! I was just to converting some projects from HDRP to URP for VR purposes, and noticed that there is no lit cube output. Will this be added at some point or is not possible for URP? Thanks!

VladVNeykov likes this.
  22. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @cpkcpk ,
    Glad to hear that! :)

As for the lit cube output, I would recommend just using a URP Lit Mesh Output and assigning a cube to it.

The Cube (and Lit Sphere) outputs are vestige functionality from the early prototype days of the VFX Graph and they don't scale as well with the progress of the VFX Graph (for example, they don't support the ShaderGraph integration, as they are in themselves already implementing custom shading to be visualized they way they are).

cpkcpk likes this.
  23. arvzg

arvzg

Playing around with Unity 2021.2.0b13 and the new Output Particle URP Lit Quad node, it works well but it seems to be missing the 'Material Types' feature from HDRP where you can set the material type to Translucent. Will this come to URP? @VladVNeykov

24. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @arvzg ,
    I believe Translucent materials (and the diffusion profiles they use) are HDRP-only features. It is not something on the VFX side, we simply expose what is available in URP and HDRP.

If you need to create a custom look, we have refactored the ShaderGraph integration for the VFX Graph for both URP and HDRP for 2021.2 (the URP one should soon be merged, don't think it's hit a public version yet) which will allow you to implement your own custom material looks within the feature sets supported by the render pipelines they target.

arvzg likes this.
  25. arvzg

arvzg

Thanks @VladVNeykov, about the Shadergraph integration for the VFX graph, what exactly does this mean? Is it just the ability to use Shader graph shaders within VFX?

upload_2021-9-28_1-21-3.png

There's already a shader graph slot in the output node, is this it?

26. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

It's a refactor of this integration, allowing you to:
    - modify particles also at the vertex stage (example of VFX birds with animated wings)
    - simplifying the workflow (no longer needing VFX-specific Shadergraphs, but re-using regular HDRP or URP shadergraphs. There's just a checkbox to tick if you want them to also be used in the VFX graph.
    - exposing the full range of HDRP and URP* material types (example of HDRP iridescent VFX soap bubbles).
    * a few URP material types: sprite and decals, if I remember correctly, still need to be integrated.

TL;DR: you can do more, easier :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Qriva, PutridEx and arvzg like this.
  27. Ervo

Ervo

Currently you can follow the tutorial in URP with Unity 2021.2, I'm doing it right now

Also, do you have the smoke textures? The link to them is broken now and I would like to have them

28. Malmarthur

Malmarthur

I had the same problem but found them here https://blog.unity.com/technology/free-vfx-image-sequences-flipbooks.
    The "WispySmoke02" seems to be the one brackeys was using.

29. Ervo

Ervo

Thanks! It's a pity there's no normal map in the archives but the animation is very smooth