Search Unity

Listening to Start and End of a ScriptMachine

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by SomeCode, Sep 14, 2022.

1. SomeCode

SomeCode

Is it possible to listen (given a callback or some other way) to a ScriptMachine starting the execution of a FlowGraph and reaching the end of any flow, without having to manually insert some sort of event dispatching node at the start and end?

Basically just want to bookend the start and end of any given FlowGraph sequence when started in a specific context.

2. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

could you reword this?

You don't mean the On Enter and On Exit flow?
    are you asking how to enter a transition?

3. SomeCode

SomeCode

No problem!

I basically just want to be notified when a ScriptGraph begins execution and when it has finished executing.
    For example, if a ScriptGraph is to serve as a cutscene, I want letterbox bars to automatically enter when the ScriptGraph starts, and automatically dismiss when the ScriptGraph finishes.

I can do this easily if there's some sort of "OnEnter" or "OnExit" event that I can listen to - or even if I'm somehow able to poll for whether or not the graph is running so that I can dispatch my own events.

Without this notification, I have to basically create a "DispatchCutsceneStart" and "DispatchCutsceneEnd" Unit, and ensure that they are manually placed at the start and end of all relevant FlowGraphs.

upload_2022-9-14_10-36-21.png

4. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

Ah, the state machine graph should open up with 3 nodes.
    On Enter State
    On Update State
    On Exit State
    d.PNG
    On enter and On exit do what you ask out of the box.
    Just have to trigger the state machine to transition, this exits the state.
    In this example I am self transitioning. (right click node and select make transition)

de.PNG

inside the transition node, I'll place a custom event just to trigger it

rgterg.PNG

So basically, When the state starts, prints just started bruh to the console,
    and when space is pressed the state exits and prints "Hey Yo I'm Done" than re-enters
    ex.PNG

Otherwise, if you just want to be notified in a regular graph, you can also use the custom trigger to send the advisement.

Do you need to print the result for your eyes to debug or are you looking to send a value?
    if looking to send a value it may be easier to use the state machine.
    hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  5. SomeCode

SomeCode

Thanks! I think the crux of my issue is that I want an external C# script to be able to automatically respond to the starting and ending of a ScriptGraph, regardless of what nodes are actually inside. Essentially just the ability to put OnScriptMachineStartRunning() {} and OnScriptMachineStopRunning() {} somewhere.

Unfortunately it looks like, as you said, I'll have to add a custom trigger to the start and end of my graphs explicitly and EventBus.Register them to external callbacks. Not the worst thing in the world, but surprising that there isn't a simple way to ask a ScriptMachine if it's doing anything at the moment.

REDACT3D_ likes this.