Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official List of Tutorials, Guides, Etc for ProBuilder / ProGrids / Polybrush - submit your own!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by gabrielw_unity, Jan 3, 2019.

1. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Are you looking for where to get started with the great world building and level design tools that are ProBuilder, ProGrids, and PolyBrush? Well, look no further! Below are some of the best places to help you design, prototype and rapidly playtest your levels right in Unity.

Submitting New Resources
    If you've seen a community tutorial, resource or FAQ for any of these tools, please post a link and info here, thanks very much! I'll add it to the official list in this post, and you'll gain something like everlasting immortality :)

Important Note: any non-resource posts will be deleted, we want to keep this thread super clear for new users to follow and learn from, thanks for your cooperation!

---

ProBuilder
    ProBuilder is a unique hybrid of 3D modeling and level design tools, optimized for building simple geometry but capable of detailed editing and UV unwrapping as needed. ProBuilder lets you quickly prototype structures, complex terrain features, vehicles, and weapons; or lets you make custom collision geometry, trigger zones, or navmeshes.

The ProBuilder documentation contains not only pesky words and stuff, but also full demo videos for each and every function! Check it out here: procore3d.com/probuilder/docs

---

ProGrids
    ProGrids gives you both a visual and functional grid, which snaps on all 3 axis. ProGrids enables speed and quality, making level construction incredibly fast, easy, and precise. It is especially handy for modular or tile-based environments, but you will find that it significantly speeds up workflow and increases quality for all types of work.

ProGrids documentation: procore3d.com/progrids/docs

---

PolyBrush
    Polybrush enables you to blend textures and colors, sculpt meshes directly in the Unity editor. Polybrush is in beta, and just got a new feature in its latest iteration, it now allows to scatter objects in the world with highly customizable brushes.

Polybrush documentation: procore3d.com/docs/polybrush

---

Tutorials

Videos

Building Structures with Interior and Exterior
    Greyboxing an Interior FPS Level
    Simple Texturing with AutoUVs
    Advanced Texturing with Manual UVs

Text and Image

Greyboxing a Radar Dish
    Building a Structure with Interior and Exterior

2. The_Nerd_Sherpa

The_Nerd_Sherpa

"If you've seen a community tutorial, resource or FAQ for any of these tools, please post a link and info here"
    It feels kinda weird posting other people's content.... I hope that I'm understanding your request correctly?

Here is my list of resources that I regularly reference.

Indie Game Hustle
    "Learn to Use Unity Probuilder"
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVpxoFqeUjC8WPHfE2eupQLlUoHrqeK6l

Brackeys
    "MODELING IN UNITY?! - ProBuilder Tutorial"

"THIS TOOL IS AWESOME - ProGrids Tutorial"

Karl Henkel
    "ProBuilder Tutorials"
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5xzQFRv_TLqRpB17ZmTVlby_Y1OsHVd5

Rikodu
    "Frankie's Revenge - Level design workflow with Probuilder"

Brooks Fobian
    "Advanced Level Design"
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9MK3LvZ-fjx1i25Wob8G1BrKgT_Ig4h

3. aaronsmithuk

aaronsmithuk

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  4. The_Nerd_Sherpa

The_Nerd_Sherpa

Unity
    "Tips & tricks for creating 3D assets fast in ProBuilder - Unity at GDC 2019"

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  5. solidjack_unity

solidjack_unity

I watched all the document videos playlist and that 'tips and tricks' video was useful after.

6. fahruz

fahruz

Are there any detailed tutorials and step-by-step guides showing how to use the scripting API?
    The overview page in the documentation is very minimal (the code in "modify a mesh" also doesn't work for me) https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.probuilder@4.0/manual/api.html
    and some of the examples in the package don't have any comments explaining what the code is doing (e.g. Runtime Editing).

It would be great to have some nice hands-on guides for the API.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  7. Samacvuk

Samacvuk

We really need more info on how to set up polybrush and probuilder with shadergraph.

8. dehmanyt

dehmanyt

bruh from where do i get it

9. andybak

andybak

Luis0n7i likes this.
  10. Bagazi

Bagazi

What are the advantages of realtime-csg. I guess one is about object subvide,that I did not find in probuilder, maybe is my bad,but I want to konw more details about the two.

11. andybak

andybak

@Bagazi Easist thing to do is have a play with them. They are both pretty easy to get started with.

Different workflow to ProBuilder. Much more about boolean modelling on simple primitives.

12. stychu

stychu

Would be cool having some series with the API of Probuilder

opacicpetar96 likes this.
  13. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  14. You need to call like this:
    ShapeGenerator.GeneratePipe([params]);

15. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Thank you very much. How and where did you see this?

16. On the top of the page you linked in.
    screenshot.png

It is a static class and you are observing its static methods. Static methods can be called this way.

17. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I have this line entered:
    ProBuilderMesh GendPipe = ShapeGenerator.GeneratePipe(PivotLocation.Center, circleRadius, circleHeight, circleThickness, circleSubdivAxis, circleSubdivHeight);
    upload_2021-10-15_21-24-0.png

I am very pleased. This is the first time in Unity's history that a ring of varying radius, height and wall thickness can be generated from a single line of developer code in the editor or runtime.
    I have waited over 12 twelve years for this.