Search Unity

Liquid Volume by Kronnect

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

Liquid Volume is a powerful and highly customizable shader that simulates realistic and animated liquid containers. Can be used in 3D scenes and 2D UI (demos included).

Liquid Volume is super easy and fun to use: just add the main script to any primitive (sphere, box, cylinder and similar shape models) to convert it into a liquid container!

Includes the following ready to use prefabs:
    • Sphere flask
    • Cylinder flask
    • Box flask
    • Potion flask
    • ... even a fillable beer glass!
    Experiment with your models and save your own prefabs!

Check out all the key features on the Asset Store:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/70992

Here's a video:

Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. GCatz

GCatz

mobile ?

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

@GCat yes, using the "Simple" variant. Shader includes 3 variants - "Simple", "Default" and "Bump Texture". The Simple variant has been tested on a Galaxy 6 and although it does not provide much details (like sparkling or murkiness and the foam is minimalistic) looks nice as well.

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

It also works on Gear VR, even with the Default setting (which includes some cool effects).

5. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Any chance of a webgl demo where we can test and rotate say the glass flask object, your videos are nice but very slow, would like to see how it works when a player is interacting with it.

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

@MikeUpchat Thanks for your interest in Liquid Volume. We'll try to publish some interactive demo soon.

7. Kronnect

Kronnect

Version 1.1 is now available with "Ignore Gravity" option allowing you to rotate the liquid with the flask itself. Useful for rendering horizontal pipes and liquid level animation in any direction.

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Version 1.2 released! This new update includes some additional controls to adjust imported models from third party applications as well as a render queue setting:

Bake Current Transform: as its name implies, it will apply current transform to the vertices themselves. This is useful when you have to rotate 90 degrees on the x-axis for example to have an imported model sit upright. Pressing this button will rotate the vertices so the transform on longer need to be touched.

Center Pivot: will center all vertices around the average center point. Useful to normalize the level settings.

Render Queue: by default, Liquid Volume will render at Transparent+1 queue so refraction blur works correctly in front of other transparent objects. However, if you want to encapsulate it into other transparent objects you can change the render queue here to set it back to transparent or transparent-1. More control!

9. JonDadley

JonDadley

Interesting. Does this work with Unity's VR Single-Pass Stereo option? A lot of shaders don't work natively with this. Also, how performant is the effect?

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

It works but the refraction blur option which uses CommandBuffers seems to have some issues on some VR setups with Single Pass Stereo. Not sure if this is an already bug fixed in latest Unity 5.5 or 5.6 updates, need to test that again.

EDIT: current Liquid Volume version works with Single Pass Stereo Rendering on Unity 5.5. Tested with Oculus DK2:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  11. radiantboy

radiantboy

Does this work on mobile? It seems to crash my devices.

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

It should. Try disabling refraction blur or choosing the simple preset.

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! V2.2 update will be submitted soon. Here's preview of some force reactions in the upcoming update:

jason-fisher likes this.
  14. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

Is it possible to make a liquid that is held between two spheres (one inside the other) with the gravity pulling the liquid toward the inner sphere?

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Thanks for your question, it's interesting.
    You can put an sphere inside another sphere, however the liquid will always gravitate towards bottom or to the ground - you can also cancel gravity and it will rotate along the external sphere but anyway it won't be affected by the inner sphere.

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

hi everyone!

v2.2 is now available which simulates physics by reacting to external forces or acceleration.

Cheers

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

We're happy to announce V3 has been submitted to the Asset Store.

This is a great update with a new flask topology, called "Irregular". This option makes use of CommandBuffers to properly compute the length of the ray inside the flask producing better adaptation effect of the liquid to any kind of container (or at least way better than the existing primitive types, cylindrical, cubic and spherical topologies).

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

So here it's! V3 is now available.

Here's the changelog:
    - New flask type! Irregular. Better adaptation to non-primitive type flasks.
    - Improved liquid level calculation when flask is rotated and upperLimit < 1
    - [Fix] Fixed depth not being calculated correctly when objects cross the container and depth aware is enabled

You can get it here!

19. Kronnect

Kronnect

V3.1 is now available with the following changes:

- Added Turbulence Speed parameter
    - Added Emission Color and Brightness parameters
    - API: Added liquidSurfaceYPosition to get the world space vertical position (Y-axis) of liquid surface
    - API: Added GetSpillPoint to get the world space position of the point where the liquid starts pouring over the flask when it's rotated
    - Added Parent Aware option to force clamp liquid with irregular topology to parent geometry
    - [Fix] Fixed Depth Aware option with Single Pass Stereo Rendering

20. vincismurf

vincismurf

Cool stuff, could you add support for SkinnedMeshRenderers, and blendshapes?

21. Kronnect

Kronnect

Could you send please me a sample model or scene?

22. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Hey @Thrawn75
    Liquid volume looks great in VR! Just a quick question about some artifacts I am seeing when using it on a different container than then demo ones. The liquid "bleeds" up the side of the container when in cylinder topology, but not if I change it to irregular.
    upload_2017-4-27_14-10-27.png

Also seeing some artifacts if the potion level is 0 in cylinder mode, some faces still show liquid (this problem is also fixed when in irregular topology)
    upload_2017-4-27_14-12-12.png

Let me know if there is anyway to fix these artifacts,
    Cheers,
    Colton

23. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    The basic topologies (spherical, cylinder, cube/box) are designed to work with those shapes. They can be used in models with similar shapes but in order to overcome any artifacts that may appear you may need to tweak some of the parameters in the Advanced section, like extents or even use the vertex tools commands (Center Pivot for example).
    If you can use the Irregular topology, that will provide the best outcome for non-basic primitives since it captures depth from the render to compute the boundary of the model. It's more expensive though.
    If you still want to use the basic topologies, send a copy of the scene to me, I can advice and try to tweak the basic topology parameters for you.
    Regards.

24. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Thanks for the quick response! The model i'm working with can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1T3bB-MkEylOFgxWFVKc2hFbzg

I would rather use the cylinder as it pours better (you will notice the top of the bottle has a wide lip which causes the pour to be calculated from the lowest point which makes sense, unfortunately that point is on the outside of the glass not inside when using irregular).

If you feel that irregular is the only way to go I will look into calculating the pour from inside verts only

Cheers,
    Colton

[EDIT] Should have also mentioned i'm not using any foam or smoke.. just default liquid

25. BongoMongo

BongoMongo

Hi, I'm having some shader trouble with the latest release. When I select, Simple, Default No Flask and Reflection Liquid Volume does not select the right shader at runtime and the shaders get replaced with Hidden/InternalShaderError

I'm using latest Unity 5.6.1 and all the shaders comile fine but as I said, as soon as I press Play they disappear. It seems to me as if the script selects the wrong shader or cannot find them. Any idea how to fix the issue?

26. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Version 3.3 which fixes this and includes new features has been submitted. @BongoMongo seems I can't send you the update by pm. Please contact us on contact@kronnect.me for the update.
    Cheers!

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

V3.3 is now available!

Here's the change log:

- Updated "WetGlass" demo scene
    - Optimized "Simple" detail level (faster, simpler shader)
    - Added Debug Spill Point under Advanced Section (useful to see the spill point when rotating the flask)
    - Added textureScale and textureOffset options for Flask Texture
    - [Fix] Center Pivot and Bake Transform options now properly refresh any collider attached to the Liquid Volume gameobject

28. Kronnect

Kronnect

V4.0 update live!

New light scattering options:

Plus:
    - New detail option: Smoke (only renders smoke inside flask)
    - Smoke can be completely disabled, slightly improving performance
    - Some shader optimizations

Enjoy!

29. spinning_clock

spinning_clock

Hi There!

Have an issue with this plugin, which is proving to be a bit of a headache.

From a normal Unity camera, the Liquid volume script works brilliantly, but once the project is put into an oculus project there is strange black artefacts which flash randomly:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9rF5-2PxvMwRTVIUUo0elJ3clE/view?usp=sharing

On the left you can see how this should look but on the right is how this looks mid-flicker. This occurs in every instance of liquid volume when viewed on oculus, and the black blocks change shape depending on the bottle and position.

Is there any settings/scripts which can fix this?

Thanks

30. Kronnect

Kronnect

I see some blurriness on the image, are you using some image effect?

31. spinning_clock

spinning_clock

the post processing stack is used, will it be worthwhile to check settings on this, ie switch off bloom?

32. Kronnect

Kronnect

yes, disable it completely and see if issue disappears.

spinning_clock likes this.
  33. spinning_clock

spinning_clock

Thanks! switching off the bloom fixed it !!! Brilliant, thanks for the pointers.

Kronnect likes this.
  34. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Absolutely loving this asset so far, but running into a problem. I've used it on a water cooler jug, and it works great, except when I knock the jug over. It goes from looking 100% full to 50% full when it's on it's side.

I've tried both cylinder and irregular topology.

Edit: And this is why I shouldn't post at 1am. Found the answer right after, rotation level bias, problem sovled.

Thanks again for the awesome asset! :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  35. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks, it looks cool right? :) Try the Center Pivot option - usually for the rotation to work models need to have the pivot at the geometric center and not at the base.

If problem persists, please send a repro to our support email.

36. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Truly awesome asset, we've hooked the level and turbulence values up dynamically so we can actually simulate the usage of water, adding some particle bubble effects, pouring of liquids out when it tips over (Using obi-fluid) and the result is simply amazing. Thanks again!

Kronnect likes this.
  37. Kronnect

Kronnect

Doing some magic with Liquid Volume Pro :)

38. Kronnect

Kronnect

39. vincismurf

vincismurf

I updated an older project from 5.5 to 2018 and notice there is a flash when I start the scene I think it has something to do with Backbuffer. Has anyone seen this or knows a fix?

40. Kronnect

Kronnect

If you disable the Refraction Blur effect, does the flash go away?

41. vincismurf

vincismurf

I do not see that setting, granted this is an older version of the plugin. . . where should I be looking?

42. Kronnect

Kronnect

In latest version its last under Liquid Settings:

43. vincismurf

vincismurf

We are look for which manager bought your plugin. . . once we do I'll update and let you know . . . or you may get another sale out of it =p

Kronnect likes this.
  44. vincismurf

vincismurf

Ok we updated the plugin but the problem still persists. . . . it might be because we purchased the Pro version instead of repurchasing the basic stuff. (turns out that manager had left). So I may have to set things up again. Will let you know.

45. Kronnect

Kronnect

Ok. Let me know. Whenever possible send me an email with details of the issue, screenshot, Unity version and platform. Thanks.

46. vincismurf

vincismurf

Turns out the issue I saw was related to separate effect entirely. . . sorry for the false flag.

Kronnect likes this.
  47. Marte5

Marte5

greetings,
    when i try to compile for mobile (Samsung S8, android 7), Unity return this error:
    Shader error in 'LiquidVolume/ZWriteFront': 'frag': Not all control paths return a value at line 29 (on gles)
    Shader error in 'LiquidVolume/ZWriteFront': 'frag': Not all control paths return a value at line 29 (on gles3),
    can you please give me some advice?
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Kronnect likes this.
  48. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll check and report back.

49. Marte5

Marte5

OK sorry, I haven't recompile shaders, now it works

REOPEN:
    restarted tomorrow and still have this error, someone can have an advice about it? thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Kronnect likes this.
  50. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello, does this asset supports HDRP?
    Thanks