Search Unity

Linux workflow nuisance: alt-click scene view fails to focus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Claytonious, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

One peculiarity of the Linux editor, at least on Kubuntu, is that when you hold down ALT and then left drag in the scene view (to rotate about the point of focus), you get a window select instead of the expected behavior (rotating) IF the scene view wasn't already explicitly focused. This causes you to lose your selection and have "to start over": find your desired item in the hierarchy, select it, begin trying to alt-drag again (and often fail again for a 2nd time in a row). It does work if you first explicitly click in the scene view (which selects whatever you clicked). I usually need to select in the hierarchy instead of visually, and thus I usually have this problem.

Similar problem happens when using the F key to focus the selected object: mouse cursor over the scene view window and pressing F only works correctly if the scene view has been explicitly focused. Otherwise, I get an "F" in whatever input field or area was last focused.

Several minutes have been wasted by these shenanigans.

As a workaround, if I remember to first right-drag in the scene view briefly before alt-left dragging, then that "works" because the scene view is focused.

Are these problems KDE-specific? If so, then I've no one to blame but myself (Unity has said to use Gnome for now). If not, then has anyone else seen them and know of any fixes/workarounds?

Thanks!

2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

this is known issue on kde, xfce and other linux flavours. best use recommend gnome and ubuntu

3. AlfieBooth

AlfieBooth

This is still the norm for me on Ubuntu and gnome. Does anyone NOT experience this? Maybe I’m missing something ...

Claytonious likes this.