Search Unity

Linux Version of Unity is buggy, very buggy.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winner_Wind, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Winner_Wind

Winner_Wind

Hello!
    New developer here, not sure if this is an all platform problem or just me.

I have been using the latest version of Ubuntu (Currently Jellyfish) and Unity Editor 2020.3.

Every time I change layouts or import assets from the Junior Programmer section, I always get tons upon tons of errors. For importing assets, I get a basic yellow "unable to import booleans" or similar error, but when I change layouts or drag and drop windows, the editor lags like crazy, everything goes haywire. See image below, and notice how my console is going crazy. Also, the camera scale sets itself to 5X for no reason. This is right after I changed layouts. Also, saving layouts does nothing, it gives a broken version. I did not even save this layout as "All Windows". All Windows was just a modified version of the default editor (No photo)

Is this just me or is it a bug?

PS. Let me know if this is not the right channel.
    S. Dash

2. Armynator

Armynator

There is a whole subforum for linux.

Currently the editor only supports Ubuntu 20.04 officially iirc. There can be many reasons for issues like this, as things tend to rapidly change between new Ubuntu releases.

If you are on the latest Ubuntu release, you are probably using Wayland. Have you tried using X11 instead?
    Also you are using OpenGL in the editor, which works better than Vulkan on Linux from my experience. But have you tried switching to Vulkan instead anyways?

If you don't want to experiment around a lot, I'd say go back to Ubuntu 20.04 for now, or at least Ubuntu 22.04 after reading this topic.

3. karliss_coldwild

karliss_coldwild

I have been using Unity on Linux starting with late 2019, early 2020. In my experience 2021 works a lot better on Linux than 2020 especially editor UI and layout related stuff. I think Unity devs rewrote some parts of the editor UI framework in 2021, which fixed a bunch of stuff and made it a lot more usable. Before that any attempts to reorganize panel layout had a high chance of breaking stuff, popout menus opening on wrong screen, cursor getting confused, parts not getting redrawn properly, and a bunch of errors/warnings in console about coming from editor UI unrelated to the project itself. Can't comment about your asset import issues. I am also not commenting about overall quality and bug amount in 2021 in general and other operating systems, only editor UI bugs when running on Linux.

If you are working with certain tutorials or example project, check what version they are mode for. If they where made for 2020, trying to import them in 2021 may cause more problems than the 2021 fixes. So either stick to the version for which the example projects where made for, or find newer examples which are made for unity 2021.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Such feedback is pointless and nothing more than ranting.

Use proper sub forum for that.
    Describe issue with reproduction steps.
    Submit bug report.
    Inform about Unity version that bug occurs, OS version, assets and packages used. More details, easier to fix by unit team. They don't read general forum to hunt arbitrary bug posts, which are useless.

5. karliss_coldwild

karliss_coldwild

Am I complaining that latest version has problems? Please read my comment more carefully. No the opposite -> the old version had them, they where already reported, marked as no fix in old version and fixed in latest one. No more bugs to report. The process mostly functioning as intended. Ideally the fixes would also be backported to other LTS versions, but I am willing to accept that in some situations where it requires major rework of underlaying frameworks it might be impractial.

But Winner_Wind asked his question about other's people experience with Unity stability on Linux here. It would have been great if he created the post in correct subforum or moderators moved it. Creating a duplicate post right now won't help anyone.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

Doesn't matter. You didn't write which Unity version specifically issues are occurring besides somewhere 2019/2020.
    The message you try to convey is imprecise in term of software development, or even bug hunting. There is dozens versions of each major release alone.

If you reported issues, can you please post bug reports IDs?

Did you use report button, to ask for move the thread?